Integration of Amazon Krakatoa in Blender

Hi all,

Is it possible to integrate the krakatoa source code into blender to help on particle rendering? Amazon recently open source its code under apache 2.0 licensing.

For more information follow the link below:

Blender is opensource, technically you could integrate any other library you want as long as the license is compatible (krakatoa’s license is btw) how easy it’ll be is a different matter and will be highly dependent on your skillset and familiarity with both codebases. Are you looking to work on this?

1 Like

For Blender development I think it’s better to focus on improving rendering of points and volumes in Cycles and Eevee. In general it’s a better experience if you can do everything together rather than compositing with another renderer that uses different lights and materials. Maybe we can use some ideas from Krakatoa.

I think that’s the direction things are moving into anyway. From what I remember, Krakatoa is from a time when renderers had no or poor support for point cloud and volume rendering.

9 Likes

As a former krakatoa user (2006-2008) I also agree with Brecht. Krakatoa is great but Cycles isnt that far behind in similar type features.

We just did a rather big sequence for His Dark Materials with massive particle sims done in Houdini and rendered in Blender using the new point cloud object and it worked great. (tho we’re missing a lot of attribute support on the point themselves at the moment)

Geometry nodes, the point cloud object and full attribute support will make it more modern than Krakatoa.

14 Likes

The future is hybrid therefore adding/using elements from other “solutions” is a great idea. Nvidia’s OMFG technology (optical multi frame generation) is a great example of that.

PS. Here is an example of hybrid rendering that is already possible with Blender (viewport capture). Cycles handles HDRI while EEVEE handles the point light:

1 Like

Great to know, but like @brecht said, could get some ideas and maybe improve something. Thank you ppl. You are great.

1 Like

Yes, but still no motion blur for alembic points or any other point attributes nor openVDB points support in blender volumes…

Are some way to use particles simulations like foam or splash from others apps like houdini or realflow with motion blur? I having throuble with this.

Loading an abc points cloud two times and using a frame offset by 1 for second one I can to use geometry nodes to calc individual point positions differences and output this positions subtration as velocity attribute… works, but blender crash.

OpenVDBpoints use way less disk space than abc files… please consider support to load openvdbpoints.

2 Likes

How performant GN for handling particles? Is it faster than Magmaflow?