Improving Gizmos

As someone who uses Gizmos for his transform operations with a (slightly) modified Industry standard keymap, I think there are still a few papercuts. Overall, the handles require too much precision.

• The Trackball style Rotation sphere is very often in the way and makes the Axis Rotation handles hard to select, as their selection area is only few pixels wide.
    YHcDqaFRPk
    Suggestions:
    Increase the thickness of the selection area of the Rotation Axis handles.
    Make the Trackball Style Rotation optional.

• It’s too easy to miss the Scale axis handles and click inside the white circle and trigger a scale on all axis.
    MrDiPF2JXc
    Suggestions:
    Increase the thickness of the selection area of the Scale Axis handles.
    Clicking inside the circle should not trigger the scale, you should have to click on the circle (with a larger selection area that the few white pixels, as it it right now)

• The UV editor Scale gizmo is inconsistent with the 3D view Scale gizmo.
    The white circle selection area in the 3D view is slightly larger than the circle and allows you to “grab” the circle.
    However the UV editor Scale gizmo requires you to click inside the circle and not on the circle.
    xZ55gcPxLe
    25oSrv3RrK
    Suggestions:
    Expand Circle selection area outside of the circle
    Clicking inside the circle should not trigger the scale, you should have to click on the circle (with a larger selection area that the few white pixels)

• Same issue with the UV editor rotation gizmo, it’s too easy to lose your selection when you think you are clicking on the circle because of its selection area.
    LVqT9XdfNF
    You also can’t do selections inside the circle which is really confusing.
    R7VyplBoCr
    Suggestions:
    Expand Circle selection area outside of the circle
    Clicking inside the circle should not trigger the rotation, you should have to click on the circle (with a larger selection area that the few white pixels)

Cheers.

8 Likes

Gizmo improvements are always welcome. BUT, first and foremost, the " Show gizmo while transforming " issue should be fixed. That’s the giant elephant in the room right now.

2 Likes

It never really bothered me as I am not an animator, but sure, it makes sense.

Being able to scale down into negative values is also a problem.

This is not even an animator thing.
Literally no other 3D app on earth works like that. This is a huge problem. I don’t understand why this is not a high priority issue.

2 Likes

Having to undo every other rotation because I didn’t click exactly on the axis I wanted is more frustrating in my opinion. UV gizmos are barely usable at the moment, I actually decided to not use them because of how confusing it is.

I come from Maya and the axis disappearance never bothered me, to the point I didn’t even notice it, I guess everyone has their own priority :smiley:

I just hope a dev will look into all these issues soon. I know there are apparently technical limitations to do the white circle selection, but the rest should be doable.

increasing the gizmo size might help your cause a little bit?

I have them pretty large already (125 pix), making them bigger feels awkward as they are in the way of everything.
It also doesn’t make the axis lines larger, only the shapes at the end.

I don’t know if the problem gets worse because I have a 4K screen.

1 Like