Improving "convert curve to mesh"

I do a lot of design work for 3d printing with blender. One tool I’m always using is convert curve to mesh. Unfortunately, any time there is a sharp bend in the curve, the current convert tool creates a non-manifold mesh with interpenetration of the surfaces around the curve. This is always a hassle to fix. I’d be interested in taking a stab at fixing this, but I’ve never done Blender development. Where would I start and maybe get a little guidance on what code to look at and potential pitfalls?

3 Likes

The building blender section of the wiki should get you started compiling Blender.

I would suggest turning on developer extras in Blender’s settings and finding the Python tooltip for curve to mesh. Then you can search that in the code which will probably give you something else to search and eventually you’ll arrive at the C code where it’s probably implemented. I’m on mobile right now so I can’t verify that but it’s where I would start anyway.

Thanks! I’ll start there.

Good luck! If you have any other questions keep asking here!

Hi @ScottVanKirk , if you are interested in reviewing my changes, I just published a patch for the Curve to Mesh Node that addresses similar issues faced in Geometry Nodes (not the regular Curve / Convert to Mesh function though)

https://developer.blender.org/D16829

Cheers!

5 Likes