Weekly reports on my Google Summer of Code project would be shared on this thread
Closing this thread to limit this to the weekly reports. @yashhh Feel free to open a second thread for feedback if you like.
Week 1 (13 June - 20 June)
Understood the Operators used for editing font
Started working on the Toggle operator to change the state of selected text.
Plans for the coming week:
Make an algorithm to check the state of selected text.
Week 2 (20 June - 27 June)
- Completed the task to implement buttons to toggle the state of selected text.
- The buttons can now make changes to the selected text(i.e. change it to bold,italic,underline and small caps)
- The buttons work as switches to show the state of the selected text.
Week 3 (27 June - 4 July)
- The previous version of updated buttons(Week 2) for bold, italics ,underline and small caps worked only in the presence of selected text .
- Combined the default function of the buttons to set the next character to the selected state along with changing the state of selected text.
Week 4 (4 July - 11 July)
- Started working on the feature to click and drag the mouse cursor to select regions of text.
- Tried to understand the working of selection boxes and the storage of cursor locations.
- Formulated a way to simplify the selection.
Week 5 (11 July - 18 July)
- Implemented the usage of the mouse to drag the cursor and simultaneously select the text.
- Working towards mapping the location of the mouse pointer with the position of the 3D text cursor.
Week 6 (18 July - 25 July)
Mapped the mouse pointer with movement of the mouse cursor along with the selection of corresponding character for single line text.
Formulating a way to implement a way to map characters and cursor of multi line text with the movement of the Mouse pointer.
Week 7 (25 July - 1 August)
- Implemented a way to move the text cursor to the position closer to the mouse pointer by formulating the closest distance.
Week 8 (1 August - 8 August)
- Optimized the previous version of mapping and also corrected the operator to move the cursor to the position clicked by the user .
- Introduced a functionality through an operator to select the word on double click.
- Started working on improving the operator to work perfectly in 3D space.
Week 9 (8 August - 15 August)
Earlier the operator to select text was developed to select text situated at the origin. This operator was modified to select the text present anywhere in the 3D space.
The similar functionality was implemented with the double-click to select word operator .
Week 10 (15 August - 22 August)
- Optimized the code and eliminated unnecessary calculations.
- Working towards the code clean up and other suggested tasks.
Week 11 (22 August - 29 August)
- Earlier there was a delay in the movement of the cursor and the mouse pointer which was resolved by passing the mouse pointer coordinates as arguments.
- Minor UI issues were solved which included the Toggle Style Palette (bold, italics, Underline, SmallCaps) .
Week 12 (29 August - 5 September)
Worked on the simplification of code.
Cleaned up the code and made necessary changes after discussing with the mentor.