GSoC 2021 Proposal Draft - UV Editor Improvements

Yes. THAT one really hurt. UV algorithms are such a fundamental feature in any 3D software. Ever since I saw that video nearly five years ago, now I was hyped for it. After a year I kinda started losing hope. After two years I had forgotten about it. :frowning:

A quick update :
As @testure pointed out, there are addons that implment the ideas for straightening UVs, I have updated the proposal with some new ideas based on the initial feedback.

In particular I found that there are some features that could be implemented for improving workflows that involve working with UDIM textures in the UV editor (based on the suggestion by @RonanDucluzeau)

The new ideas are listed below and also updated in the draft (original post in this topic).

1. Packing to user specified UDIM tiles
  2. Add feature for dynamic grid and grid snapping to the UV editor
  3. Features to simplify moving UVs across UDIM tiles

Refer to the draft (original post) for detailed description of these ideas

1 Like

@jacek007g thereā€™s a similar task created here - T78400.

I think this would be a nice feature to support. I have updated the proposal to include a few secondary tasks during the community boding period and I will try adding it to that list.
I will be working on those tasks during the final weeks of GSoC and after the program as well. Note that the secondary tasks wonā€™t be the primary focus of GSoC, so I will start working on them after the primary deliverables have been completed

The pattern checker however, I feel is out of scope.

1 Like

Hey @mattli911 ! The RCS post did come up many times when I was looking for ideas to include for the proposal.

I feel this task would be better suited for a more experienced developer. I started contributing to Blender about a month ago, so Iā€™m still working on learning more about the code-base. I may look into this after GSoC, but again Iā€™ll try to not make any false promises, since Iā€™m moving to my final year next semester and I may not have much time to work on any big tasks.

1 Like

Hi @Eneen!
I donā€™t plan on including overlap check tool since I believe there are addons that already implement this feature

they are, but you could add small UI tweak using existing code (from MagicUV for example) and improve it to be permanent monitoring for Overlaps or Mirrored UV islands there

as a checkbox, like a ā€œDisplay Stretchā€ checkbox do or as a radiobutton (Stretch/Overlap/Mirrored one of this stage).
Itā€™s just a suggestion. I do not insist.

2 Likes

I havenā€™t used the addon yet so Iā€™ll have to take a look into that. If itā€™s feasible then Iā€™ll ask devs on blender.chat about creating a design task for it.
Iā€™m actually running a bit busy with college work since the past few days so it might take a while.

2 Likes

Could be possible add selections tools that allow to select all uv vertex in all X or Y range. Like a classic box select tool but that one of the axis are infinite

Seems doable, since it would be simple variation of the existing UV_OT_select_box operator, but I canā€™t think of any uses cases where this tool would be required.
@Alberto Did you encounter the need for this tool in any specific case you were working on?

Totally. Because I work constantly with UVs out of 0-1 range and hard to select

and I think that a tool that allow me to select all vertex out of my screen will allow me to work easily

And actually in assets for game that work with trim textures it is 30% por the workflow.

Thanks for the suggestion @Alberto
I think this can be implemented as a secondary task during the GSoC period and Iā€™ll definitely add this to the list.
Secondary tasks mentioned in my proposal is a list of user suggested improvements that I plan to work on during weeks 8-9 of the coding period.

1 Like