GSoC 2019 LANPR Development and Feedbacks

Hi Carlo!

This process should work both in F12 or viewport. I’ll check why it doesn’t. Thanks for reporting.

1 Like

So i have a feeling like when you press f12 with GPU mode enabled… it reverts back to CPU mode.

My other feeling is that viewport render mode, is the same bug as alt f - focus camera on mouse bug… everyhting goes the background colour and doesnt work.

Let me know if there is anything else I can help with!

Carlo

Week 6 update is here. It was meant to update yesterday but there are some minor fixes to be done.

https://wiki.blender.org/wiki/User:Yiming/GSoC2019/Week6

2 Likes

Hi

I’m trying to build your branch on macOS so I can upload it on graphicall. But since last week I get a error every time I try to build it. My last successful build was from 28/06, and it’s been failing since 04/07 or before. I cann’t give you a exact date cause I try to do weekly builds.

This is the error:

/Users/wouter/Documents/Blender/GSOC/blender/source/blender/draw/engines/lanpr/lanpr_dpix.c:431:5: error:
void function ‘lanpr_create_atlas_intersection_preview’ should not return
a value [-Wreturn-type]
return 0;
^ ~

Ahh it’s a stupid mistake… I’ll fix it right now.

Week 8 update is here!

https://wiki.blender.org/wiki/User:Yiming/GSoC2019/Week8

This week is mainly about coding structures and UI back and forth. New designs should be up next week :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Hm I was trying to replicate the look where the lines are not chained but un-checking ‘LANPR-Options-Chain Lines’ seems to just make all updates not work and turning auto-update off and pressing manual update couple times crashes. (build downloaded from rightclickselect-graphicall yesterday)

Overall things seem to be shaping up nicely. I wish it was possible to have better realtime preview but I guess it is outside of the gsoc. (Also it would be nice not to have to view always through a camera, and to have better performance update takes very long on complex meshes, and ctrl-z is very slow)
The UI inside LANPR settings seems nice.
Hope you will be able to write some documentation for the system.

CGShrimp Robot test

Hello!

The chaining was somewhat broken in a recent commit, which make the render result disappear. However your problem sounds different… It might be some recent code cleanups broke something unintentionally. I’ll check with your files.

Basic documentation will be available before the end of this week. Have fun and thank you very much for the test!

Here’s last week’s report https://wiki.blender.org/wiki/User:Yiming/GSoC2019/Week9

Ah I didn’t save that file since it was mostly just cubes… I’m trying to replicate it now but it is happening somewhat inconsistently. It seems to happen fairly often if you do following, though:
-Open b3d
-Select camera-ctrl0 to view through camera-set renderer to lanpr-shading look dev-create single line layer- press update (cube should appear in lanpr)
-Set lanpr chaining off-update (cube disappears)
-Set lanpr chaining on-update (cube appears)
-If you keep looping the last two (chaining on/off+update) b3d eventually crashes. (For me anyhow. Sometimes takes only once sometimes it might work for 6-10 times before crashing)

LANPR patch is up here! https://developer.blender.org/D5442

3 Likes

Go Yiming Wu go!
Fix what Antonio Vasquez asked then just master it finally! :zap::fire::zap:
I’m so happy for you and those lines! :smiley:

I did tests on windows 10 on a radeon HD 7600 and on an intel hd 4000 (both working with eevee)
on the intel hd 4000 all transparent. (blender only displays the selection outline)

on the radeon hd 7600 the situation improves, the rendering seems to work, but the framebuffer remains fixed to a frame if I try to rotate the scene …
f12 rendering seems to work, but I didn’t go deep into trop…

1 Like

Hi!

CPU mode is always fixed at camera. I’m discussing with devs to figure out a way to make it follow viewport as well, but it may be slow. Currently you need to align to your camera.

For the same reason. Auto update is disabled by default. Enable it to update the rendering when scene changes.

Let me know if there’s more hiccups.

1 Like

Hi Cheng
here’s what happens on the radeon …
in gpu mode it seems to work much better, while in cpu mode it remains a frame designed even if I refresh, and if I try to refresh button on cpu it lurks us a lot to calculate but nothing happens but it always remains as a frame drawn …

a question: is it normal that it’s all black with white lines?
I don’t know the use of LANPR so I don’t know if other settings should be made in the materials or other …

lanpr5

2 Likes

CPU mode is a bit lack of response for sure… try moving frame with auto update enabled. (The results will always be stationary if your camera is not moving)

Of course you can adjust line styles, those options are under line layer sub panel.

1 Like

autorefresh on cpu seems broken, does not calculate and we always see that drawing fixed in the background … actually it is better to say that only the silhouette of the selected object rotates …

it must be said one thing which is known with these GPUs, since AMD freezed the legacy drivers to 2016 this drivers have bugs that main blender devs have solved with GPU workarounds …
@mano-wii e @fclem they are aware of this

I’ll inspect. Currently if the actual camera object is not moving then the results will always be the same. :frowning: I’ll try to add a follow viewport option before the merge, but this could cause some unintended latency.

GPU looks good to me.

2 Likes

you are free to ask me if you need test on my gpus

1 Like

another question, in GPU mode, is this normal this appearance and disappearance of lines when zooming?
(is a bug on my GPU?)
lanpr6

edit:
I did tests with a simpler scene and it doesn’t work as it should … there are display errors … which I recognize … they are probably due to bug legacy drivers … @mano-wii knows this problems.

2 Likes