GSoC 2019 LANPR Development and Feedbacks

This is related to Freestyle Edge/Face mark compatibility. I’ll submit a separate patch to refactor it. It’s currently working, just code-wise it needs some extra care in the future.

1 Like

thank you for clarifying!

I’m not informed.
Do you think you will be able to get your project approved for blender 2.81?
As I know, day 13 September is the last day for the new features, then they move on to bugfixing and stabilization.

It’s currently scheduled for 2.82 or later:

1 Like

thanks, I wasn’t aware of this page.

the post is from yesterday, so it’s pretty new :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi! Due to some school stuff I’m not able to make this into 281, but seems positive in 282. The core functions are mostly ready and I’m cleaning up the rest.

6 Likes

Hey there,

Just wondering if there were any plans to increase it the GPU memory allocation from 4k to 8k (or even 16k?)? we are constantly running out of texture space which then doesnt render any lines?

Thanks

Carlo

Hi! It is possible to increase cache texture size to 16k (technically). I can add those options, but you may have to test if it works for your scene, because my video driver doesn’t seem to support more than 8k. (Strangely it’s actually around 7k and something…) check back 1 hour later.

3 Likes

Looks like 8K works fine on my card (GTX 1080) Thanks for your help!!

2 Likes

I welcome the development work, thank you. Currently Freestyle crashes on 2.81.12 with my nature scene, and LANPR doesn’t seem much better. I really miss the BI line render, despite its limitations, it always worked. I am trying to generate a more ‘artistic’ line, less architectural is my interest.
I also have a second request. I would like to be able to render ‘image planes’ with a simple outline. What I do get is a ‘square’ plane, not the alpha shape, which I can see in a ‘normal’ render. I am looking forward to your continued development and implementation of LANPR, and include some of customizing that I can see in Freestyle.
I also would like to more easily have a Line Rendering Layer separate for later compositing. I seem to be missing something. I would like to be able to customize Lineset to selected objects or Collections, like in Freestyle, some thinner, some more Noisey, for artistic variation. I want to be able to make some elements less significant, others more so. Having them be Thick or Thin, depending on the light source. I need a tutorial on the “How To…” as I stumble along.
Thank you again.

Paul

1 Like

It’s not really helping you but I found this beautiful shader with outlines on twitter:

4 Likes

Glad to see others pushing for development in the arena of Line Rendering and Watercolor Shader look. So many movies and animation ideas would flow from development in this area. The integration of SVG Export and use in Grease Pencil offers some great new possibilities for Line Rendering compositing, which I want to explore. Unfortunately my scenes crash 2.81.15 and 2.82. Hair, particles, grass, leaves, and scene complexity crash, despite having 32 GB of RAM??

I am hoping that the ‘silence’ on the NPR realm, indicates that all parties are working for a successful completion of the LANPR line drawing addition to Blender 2.82. Freestyle is still fine, but stalls on any more complicated scenes, The only build on GraphicsAll.org for LANPR is back from Aug?? and I haven’t seen much discussion, as the latest Blender Conference is ready to start?? Still want Line Rendering, with particles, that doesn’t crash, and includes some of the artistic controls that Freestyle brings. I continue to be hopeful.

1 Like

Hello everyone!

I am trying to build LANPR on Linux, but I am having problems.

I can build the master no problems, then I switch to LANPR with git checkout soc-2019-npr, then I run make again, it goes through the process, but I still endup with master only, it was suggesting to me to run make install after I build LANPR, but it gives me errors, any help would be appreciated!

Gilles

I have been trying to build LANPR on Win64 Platform. All of the setup seems to work, with some ‘odd’ notes but in the end I got an Error Log, which I have posted on Problem building LANPR branch Windows 64 I hope someone who is informed can help problem solve, as I want to explore LANPR and the current available build is from Aug??? I will gladly post to GraphicsAll.org once I get it to work. Assistance requested also, thanks in advance.

I have been posting successful builds of LANPR for the Winx64 platform on Graphicall.org. No changes noted to the LANPR branch of temp-LANPR-cleanup, just changes to the Blender 2.82 base. Awaiting more full LANPR features and stability. Some oddities on more complex scenes with items being excluded, for no apparent reason that I can see. Would help to have some Presets built-in as I am stumbling on getting the Scene to Render ‘in-full.’ It renders fine in Cycles, but Excludes a variety of Collections when using LANPR for ‘no apparent reason’ that I can see??

1 Like

Thanks for the uploads Paul, much appreciated, but I can’t make LANPR work, even on a very simple scene, I must be missing something here, and it crashes a lot, and I mean a lot, in Eevee it crashes every time I press f12, for example!

Not sure in your case, but, LANPR is a completely different render engine. You have to chose it in the Render Engines choices first, then enable a LANPR Layer. It defaults to a White Line?? but should render on screen. I have difficulty also switching back to Eevee or Cycles at the moment, but LANPR should work as described. If you choose the Far Right button at Top, you can see it in RealTime, or just F12 if you want to save the image. Good luck. Yiming Wu has made some changes to the code, I will upload a new build later today.

1 Like

Well, I just tried this on a 2 million polygon scene with 1400 objects in it, and well… I waited an hour and watched Blender’s RAM usage go from 3gb to 6gb and down to 3gb again (only ever using 15% of CPU), and then I couldn’t wait any longer and killed it.

I hope there’s some performance improvements in store for this in the future (because at least for professional work, it should take a minute, maximum, to wait… the software we currently use usually handles this in seconds, although the results require a lot of clean-up in Illustrator that wastes man hours so that’s why we’re looking for alternatives).

Hello, I did a quick test to try to know if this is a GPU/CPU process. Apparently LANPR is CPU process, and Single Thread. Is this correct? Are there plans to do this multi-threaded?