Gradient vertex color for proportional editing

@feedbackex This seems like a worthwhile addition.

When you are ready, you can submit the code as a patch on developer.blender.org. Then it can be reviewed.

15 Likes

as no patch was submitted as far as I know I thought this might be an interessting exercise, especially as there where some hints & pointers by brecht.

adding it here wasnā€™t all that complicated - but I need some help on improving the drawing. What I have now is a simple gradient according to the proportional editing factor. This works fine on edge & face modes, but on vertex mode the vert dots get painted over, which makes the whole thing very ugly.

so - any ideas how to adress this? would be appreciated :slight_smile:

14 Likes

Awesome work!

You should better submit the patch and then reviewers will point out what to fix and how to do this. This way patch will be finished faster.

This is really awesome! I hope you submit the code very soon so that it will be integrated in blender and everyone can use it. Iā€™ve been looking for this a while now and you would make Blender definitely better with this.

woaw im impressed, in maya they really put the proportional selection to the next level

dream to see this in blender
6 Likes

The selectable gradient colors is a really nice, feature, because maybe not everyone wants them same (especially with the theme support already in Blender).

2 Likes

I tried to do a compressed spring like this in Maya, but it failed me:

PS: Since maya doesnā€™t have a ā€œconnectedā€ feature, I used the Volume option, it still didnā€™t work.
Therefore I prefer Blenderā€™s proportional editing!

Maya has a ā€˜surfaceā€™ mode, which is the same as Blenderā€™s ā€˜connectedā€™ mode, except it computes geodesic distance instead of ā€˜naiveā€™ point-to-point distance. I would expect it to work in your case, actually.

2 Likes

Hi @kio, just wanted to know if you managed to find a solution ? Did you make a patch on developer.blender.org ?

Cheers !

1 Like

After a bit of digging I found a solution, but I really donā€™t know if the solution is acceptable :slight_smile:

And Yes I submitted a patch a few days ago:
https://developer.blender.org/D4786

But probably a bit of bad timing as 2.80 should really feature freeze and get out of the doorā€¦

While this was a nice exercise, Iā€™m not sure if the whole approach to the proportional editing needs some major changes.

• preview before transform mode
  • geodesic distance support
  • support of custom falloff curve

Itā€™s quite a bit of work to adress all of these I fear. And maybe just the ability to switch falloff types during transform would be a good start instead of trying to do too much.

14 Likes

Amazing ! canā€™t wait to play with this

Thanks a lot for taking the time to do this, as William said in the patch comments it is already a really nice improvement, hopefully it can be added soon, even as it is right now :slight_smile:

Since I used to work as a UI designer and thus am permanently damaged, is there any particular reason why the colored nodes are square and not round? :slight_smile:

I saw the note about it being a technical challenge to have the color appear before the transform, so Iā€™m guessing the answer is similar when it comes to round nodes, so Iā€™m looking forward to future developments!

1 Like

i knew its the third post about maya soft select but this video is a must see
having the edges color as wel look so good ! my god !
along the surface tools too
option to customize the color and falloff ā€¦ woaaw

I think thereā€™s plenty of reference, weā€™re just lacking developer force to tackle it. Doesnā€™t seem like it would be such a difficult endeavour for a seasoned developer, at least the visualization side of things.

yeah i noticed too - ill update the patch to use the dots instead of the squares :wink:

3 Likes

Oh wow - after looking at the code I realized that itā€™s already possible to switch the proportional editing modes during transformā€¦ and itā€™s also mentioned in the manual. Guess I was relaying too much on the bottom bar shortcut Infos - sadly this is not noted thereā€¦

4 Likes

Is the color of the gradient hard coded ? Or is it themable ? (I didnā€™t try the patch yet, I have to try it I soon as I can :smiley: )

In my patch itā€™s three themable colours, but it might make sense to change this to be the same as the weight gradient.

4 Likes

we can customize the colors in your scripts ? is that what youā€™re saying ? :slight_smile: