Google Summer of Code 2022 : is it only for students?

Hi all! Nice to get to know you
I’m a software engineer with more than 10 years of experience in Java, Python, C and I’ve been subscribed to the Blender Cloud for several years

As I’m really passionate about Blender and its community, I would like start helping you write code for this awesome software

Is the Google Summer of Code opened only to students and recently graduated people (which I am not) ? Can I submit my proposal (as a contributor) as well?

Thanks
Federica

3 Likes

AFAIK this year all people over the age of 18 can participate at GSoS. You could contact Thomas Dinges for additional info.

2 Likes

Thanks for your advice! I’ll do it

Welcome onboard, Federica!
Your contributions would be very much appreciated.

While you certainly can, you don’t have to be enrolled in a Google Summer of Code project to contribute to Blender development. Have a look in the pages “New developer info” and “Advice to new developers” to get tips on how to get started, and talk to our community coordinator, @ThomasDinges, for further help.

Good luck!

3 Likes

We don’t set the rules for GSOC, google does, you can find a faq on the eligibility requirements over here

but to save y’all a click

What are the eligibility requirements for participation?

• You must be at least 18 years of age when you register
  • You must be eligible to work in the country you will reside in during the program.
  • You must be an open source beginner.
  • You have not been accepted as a GSoC Student in GSoC more than once. (Only GSoC Students from 2020 or 2021 are eligible to apply a second time in 2022.)
  • You must reside in a country that is not currently embargoed by the United States. See Program Rules for more information.
3 Likes

Hi Federica and a warm welcome!

As others already explained, this year everyone at the age of 18 or older who is new to Open Source development can participate in GSoC. You can find further links and infos in this topic: Blender has been accepted for GSoC 2022

Any particular area that you are interested to work on?

Best regards,
Thomas

3 Likes

Hello everybody,
Thanks for your answers :slight_smile:
I’ve already downloaded Blender from GIT and built it successfully. Now I’m trying to figure out how Blender works by reading both the Blender Developer Wiki and “Core Blender Development” by Hollister

I’m really interested in GEOMETRY NODES

6 Likes

If you like to work on Geometry Nodes, I suggest to get in touch with the Geometry nodes team on blender.chat for further help and discussing project ideas.

And here is the submodules landing page: Geometry Nodes

3 Likes

Thanks Thomas ! I’ll get in touch with the team as soon as possible.
Since I was told that I don’t need the GSOC to enter the community,
I think I’ll start with some bugs in order to both help you and get acquainted with the whole project

Thanks

5 Likes