Geometry Nodes

How could we get attributes from different indeces now?

E.g. if We want to mix the Positions 0 - 20 with the positions 40 - 60, how would we do it?

I guess we could use split geometry a number of times and use Attribute Transfer but that seems cumbersome and unintuitive. Also I’m not sure how AT would work without setting new attribute names.

I feel all the input nodes should also have an Index input in order to achieve this, or am I missing a more obvious way?

I saw an index range node in the geometry-node chat
not sure yet how it will be used

It would be nice to clarify that. I could be wrong but I don’t think we could get arbitrary attributes of specific indices with it.

What I do wrong? how to aligh instances along face normals?
Help please

Well i just made one

Capture d’écran 2021-10-14 162102

updated the files → Pasteall.org

3 Likes

in this list I don’t see mesh boolean nodes but its need update to something like this or team got different idea for update it?
Mesh_Boolean

I’m still waiting for Fast solver option in boolean node.

4 Likes

And I am waiting for mesh data being prevented when Realize (Realize Instances node / applying the modifier), or at least some workaround, until then I can’t use GNs unfortunately.

Me too! The Exact is too slow for doing booleans with many objects, eg-architectural urban scale.

2 Likes

Pablo Working on some interesting things

27 Likes

Thank God, you can turn them off!

1 Like

If He’ll add dash density, dash opacity and wires thickness (Separate for fields and Geo) controls that will be the perfect balance between quick customization and simplicity IMHO.

5 Likes

Does anyone knows if i the current 3.0 build is there the possibility to make instances inherit instancer attributes?
In my case I’m instancing objects on a curve and I would like to store the curve point position (or just position z component) on each point of instanced geometry. I would then realize instances and move some points on each realized instance accordingly to the z height of the point on which the realized instance was originally instanced.

The Best I could do is select just the base points and just set the position z to 0, but I actually want to move a bunch of points higher than the base as well and transform them by a specific amount without flattening everything.

This is kind of what I’d like to do:

No, inherit instances isn’t possible.
But you can instance your curve, move it down and instance on the curve instance. If you need the instances on the curve, you have to make the curve instances real.

Thanks, that’s a shame.

I’m not sure what you mean with:

I’m instancing the pillars on the curve, and already making it real, I’m selecting the base points before instancing and using it after instancing and realizing instancing, then moving the base points to zero.

Hi Riccardo,
I don’t think that (for now) it’s possible that you can have instances inherited attributes from the instancers. In these kinds of situations, it’d be ideal to use ray cast but since the new ray casting node hasn’t yet to be ported into the main build so I guess the other substitutional solution that we can look into is using ‘Geometry Proximity’ perhaps? If I understand you correctly, then you’ll only have to compute the distance of all the points on your curve to the ground-level object (for instance, in this case, it’d be a plane) using ‘Geometry Proximity’, take that distance and minus the half the height of your mesh so that you’d get the real distance of all the bottom points (in the red box position) to the ground-level object and then you can just move those points to the position of the ground-level object.
Not sure if this is exactly what you’re looking for, but here is a demo video.

Screenshot of the nodes.

1 Like

Hey thanks!!
Actually, with the flat plane ground case, I don’t even need the proximity (maybe, but I could be wrong), you are basically comparing the original position before instancing and the position after instancing, right? I haven’t thought about that

I’m doing a first attempt, Instancing a cube primitive created in the node tree it seems to work, but with a custom external pillar something goes wrong… not sure why:

Edit:

Never mind, I had an old build on this pc, I updated the build and now it works!!

Thanks a lot @CubicSpaceMon_K !! That was brilliant, and very helpful to grasp other aspect of fields that weren’t so obvious to me!

I hope that attribute stamping from point to instances will be implemented eventually!

5 Likes

i’m working on something :slight_smile:

Two new plugin input nodes, sequencer volume + python api evaluation
i’ll share them tomorrow

17 Likes

Hello,

just curious, is there any reason why separate/combine hsv is not in the master?

I tried to put some rgb to hsv formulas into the nodegroup, but couldn’t make it work.

2 Likes

Does someone knowes how to do a displacement on instances?