Geometry Nodes

Dont’ throw rotten tomatoes at me if this isn’t the right place to ask, but:

1. When it is planned to support baking for Geometry nodes?
  2. when it is planned to add Geometry nodes’ output as a real geometry?

“2)” could be used for modelling ivy, for instance.

Thanks!

What do you mean by baking? As for outputting real geometry, this happens to be planned for this sprint.

Sorry, I meant baking to the texture.

These are two different questions: one is about baking, and second is about geometry nodes output as a real geometry.

Question for the devs. I saw d7c2c889a688 (Allow attribute nodes to use different domains), which is just amazing. I know parametric modelling isn’t for a while, so sorry to ask ahead, but I was really curious if the nodes for procedural modelling would have the same sort of consideration?

A lot of modelling operations would benefit from specifically telling blender what domain it is using (verts, faces edges etc). Just a little dropdown menu or something would be the so nice.

1 Like

That is way too early for that. I can only give a vague “yes” as an answer.

2 Likes

A fun geometry nodes experiment

Grab the file from Geometry Nodes - #303 by dreamak - Blender Development Discussion - Blender Artists Community

Something for DEVS, IIRC someone’s already mentioned it here that it’d be great to have a way to expose an attribute on object A so object B can access it. At 2:55 I’m talking about how I had to cheat to prevent wings flap synchronized and that it’d be nice to have a way to pass animation offset to each bird instance based on a randomized float attribute made on formation’s geometry.

15 Likes

I’m still trying to get the hang of basic transforms, esp. combining them together. What’s going wrong here? I basically want to have one value control the Z height of the default cube’s top face, another value the Z control the height of the default cube’s bottom face, and then compare and combine those positions.

Pseudocode: If geometry is above the object origin, have the zup attribute add/subtract to its Z height, else if behow the object origin, have the zdn attribute add/subtract to its Z height.

@oscarbaechler it’s not clear to me what do you expect from combining positions?

I think I’m just…doing it wrong, and trying to figure out how to do it right.

1. Compare geo positions above or below a float Z value
  2. If above that value, make their Z values go up or down by an attribute’s amount
  3. If below that value, make their Z values go up or down by a different attribute’s amount

I think I need a mask and an invert of the mask maybe

I might be missing something here but why can we use the normal attribute to Align Rotation to Vector as well as to displace points created by Point Distribute nodes but not to displace the surface like normal? Is this a limitation of the Normal vector changing as displacement happens or will this be patched?

(I also streamed a bit of an introduction to GN a few days ago which might help any new comers)

1 Like

I think I agree with what you’re getting at. An example is that a bevel node could use attributes on vertices, edges, and maybe even faces. With that you get the power of selections, vertex groups, and even “edge groups”! The attribute system is only there, soon it will just be about implementing support for this in nodes like bevel.

2 Likes

The normal attribute on meshes just isn’t implemented yet. We’ve been working on the groundwork for it, but it still needs a bit more time. Currently, the point distribute node manually calculates the normals as part of the process of sampling the mesh surface, and it provides that attribute to the points it creates.

3 Likes

That’s the idea. I had left a comment on Pablo’s Blender Today a month or two ago about what if the future blender would get edge and face groups, to which he said that would need every single modifier and physics system to be pretty much rewritten or modified to incorporate them. That would undoubtedly be a really big ouch. With geometry nodes, however, as I understand it the modifiers and nodes won’t be 1:1, which is a positive. So it’s an opportunity for a fresh start of sorts. Maybe a barrel of worms, but so powerful!

Are there plans to have the attribute proximity work with instances ? Right now it outputs 0 weight from distributed meshes

Can attributes created by Geometry Nodes currently be referenced by Shader Nodes? It doesn’t seem to be working for me at the moment.

If the node doesn’t work on instances then it won’t work with the object info and collection info nodes either. If you have the time, could you report that as a bug with an example file?

“We do not support rendering attributes created with geometry nodes in Eevee and Cycles in general yet. Sometimes it works “accidentally” for different reasons.” from https://developer.blender.org/T84980

1 Like

The Cycles implementation is being worked on: https://developer.blender.org/D10210.

3 Likes

The boolean operator behaves strangely when unioning with instanced geometry:

@jacqueslucke I’m wondering, does this new bpy.types.Attribute have any connection to Geometry Nodes?
I tried to create a new attribute on a mesh with
mesh.attributes.new("attr_from_api", "FLOAT", "POINT") and access it within GeoNodes, but failed.

1 Like