Geometry Nodes

Soon
right now its generated by the distribute node but it will be native the patch just need to wait for implementation

Which I think is a proper way?

Nah that won’t work for non-cube/sphere meshes

3 Likes

Perfect!

You’re right, I just did it on a cone didn’t work out in the proper way. How would one do it currently for other cases? Just out of curiosity.

You’re right, I just did it on a cone didn’t work out in the proper way. How would one do it currently for other cases? Just out of curiosity.

There’s no normal information so it’s not possible
we just have to wait for implementation

1 Like

Ah shoot, was wondering if there was a tricky math way haha. All good

1 Like

Is there and ability to get virtex index in GN?

2 Likes

Add this to it
https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.html

This is why we should avoid the term “Open Source”. It’s misleading. I know the term “Free Software” also not the best thing in the world. Because in this case it will give a different attack surface. “Free” in English also means Gratis. This is why “Open Source” was originally proposed.

If you are talking on a different language then English. Use the translation of Free Software. Свободная программа. תוכנה חופשית. In English you can use the word “Libre”. Like in Libre Office. It’s fine in some places. Or just do like I do. I just state the 4 freedoms from the original definition of Free Software.

1. Use without restriction
  2. Study and Modify Source Code
  3. Give or Sell copies
  4. Give or Sell copies that you modified
2 Likes

It’s called “source available” and that is a semi-official definition that apply to the UE4 license and similar licenses. It’s just that epic is using the “open source” term misleadingly for marketing purposes

1 Like

Is there a way to do this displacment in the normal direction instead of world z ?

I know it’s a fairly substantial task at this point but can all the Open Source / Free Software / Source Available related discussions be separated out of this topic. It keeps getting brought up again over time while it’s fairly off topic to this particular topic itself.

(and yes I’m acutely aware I have contributed to this off topic myself)
2 Likes

Not yet, as normals of the mesh aren’t exposed.

Thanks for the info much needed attribute

With a sphere you can some displacement like this for example ( for the moment )

1 Like

Thanks BennyG for the example but i need more something like a deformed mesh (skin) by a armature and on top a displacment that takes the underlying deformed mesh normal as a direction.
Most works already with objects orientation (instances) but not with a mesh…i guess it will come…true superpower i was hoping for something since lukas tönne tried his first donation startup with nodes back in 2011 i guess.

Simple Subdivision node
https://developer.blender.org/D10409

5 Likes

Here’s a few examples I put together, since finding demos to examine is such a pain when it’s such brand new features. Thanks to everyone posting on here, most of this file was derived or studied from contributions on this thread! https://blendswap.com/blend/27372

4 Likes

Added more UV Smooth and Boundary smooth options to the subdivision node. developer.blender.org/D10417

2 Likes

Dont’ throw rotten tomatoes at me if this isn’t the right place to ask, but:

1. When it is planned to support baking for Geometry nodes?
  2. when it is planned to add Geometry nodes’ output as a real geometry?

“2)” could be used for modelling ivy, for instance.

Thanks!

What do you mean by baking? As for outputting real geometry, this happens to be planned for this sprint.