This is a discussion I want to kick off on deciding on this particular UI element in the header and any preferences that relate to it:
The main question: Should this be removed and why?
Feedback from users who actively use it is highly welcome!
This is reasoning behind the question above.
These points are coming from others devs and also from my own experience with using this feature for months:
- This popup mostly just duplicates the tool selection in the toolbar
- These settings are too rarely used to justify having this popup (It’s like a soft preference).
- The “Active Tool” setting is never changed and would be better as a preference (More about that below)
- These settings are not intuitive or self explanatory
- The setting is available in almost every Tool even if it doesn’t do anything (Example: Annotation Tools in left click select)
Still, the functionality behind this feature is useful and it has been part of the LCS keymap since 2.80. Being able to Tweak or do any selection method on click & drag would still be there.
But the Drag UI element in the header itself seems unnecessary.
A preference was added to LCS to make it easier to access the “Active Tool” option from the drag settings above.
By holding Alt and click and dragging it will execute the active tool instead of the current selection tool.
This eliminates the need for that UI element and is more convenient to use.
Leftover tasks like T89989 and T93599 will help making this feature feel better to use.
It’s not available when using the “3 mouse button emulation” though.
So perhaps there should be a toggle preference between
A: Using selection tools as drag fallback and holding Alt to use the active tool by click-dragging anywhere
B: Always just using the Active Tool by click-dragging anywhere
Since 3.0 the selection drag fallback is also available for right click select if one of the preferences is switched:
This setting is fairly hidden and could potentially just be the default (Since it just extends the default behaviour and makes RCS and LCS a bit more consistent).
Especially the ability to right click drag to box select instead of tweaking is a welcome addition.
I don’t know if there are any arguments against removing this preference then.
- Should the Drag UI element be removed from the tool settings?
- Do you use different drag options (tweak or box/lasso select) per mode/workspace? Or could this be set in the preferences globally?
- Should the “Active Tool” option become a preference instead?
- Or is the “Alt Tool Access” preference perhaps enough to replace that option?
- Is it acceptable to make the new “Right Mouse Selection Action” preference default in RCS
- If yes does it even make sense to remove that option from the preferences?