Error during install phase after Visual Studio Update

Updated Visual Studio today and it started, been a while since updating VS so not necesarily from today, didn’t see anything from quick glance and searching the forum, so sorry if a duplicate thread.

Just a heads up, doesn’t seem to impact anything, but it is that scary red text instead of the friendly yellow warning stuff I usually see. As far as I can tell this red text isn’t as bad as it normally means, it still builds and the changes I make seem fine so far.

Building Custom Rule F:/blender-git/blender/source/creator/CMakeLists.txt
CMake does not need to re-run because F:/blender-git/build_windows_Full_x64_vc16_Release/source/creator/CMakeFiles/ge
nerate.stamp is up-to-date.
Building Custom Rule F:/blender-git/blender/CMakeLists.txt
CMake does not need to re-run because F:/blender-git/build_windows_Full_x64_vc16_Release/CMakeFiles/generate.stamp is
up-to-date.
– Install configuration: “Release”
CMake Error at cmake_install.cmake:36 (file):
file INSTALL cannot find “C:/Program Files (x86)/Microsoft Visual
Studio/2019/Community/VC/Redist/MSVC/14.20.27508/x64/Microsoft.VC141.CRT/msvcp140.dll”.
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2019\Community\MSBuild\Microsoft\VC\v160\Microsoft.CppCommon.targets(138
,5): error MSB3073: The command “setlocal [F:\blender-git\build_windows_Full_x64_vc16_Release\INSTALL.vcxproj]
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2019\Community\MSBuild\Microsoft\VC\v160\Microsoft.CppCommon.targets(138
,5): error MSB3073: “C:\Program Files\CMake\bin\cmake.exe” -DBUILD_TYPE=Release -P cmake_install.cmake [F:\blender-git
build_windows_Full_x64_vc16_Release\INSTALL.vcxproj]
,5): error MSB3073: if %errorlevel% neq 0 goto :cmEnd [F:\blender-git\build_windows_Full_x64_vc16_Release\INSTALL.vcxpr
oj]
,5): error MSB3073: :cmEnd [F:\blender-git\build_windows_Full_x64_vc16_Release\INSTALL.vcxproj]
,5): error MSB3073: endlocal & call :cmErrorLevel %errorlevel% & goto :cmDone [F:\blender-git\build_windows_Full_x64_vc
16_Release\INSTALL.vcxproj]
,5): error MSB3073: :cmErrorLevel [F:\blender-git\build_windows_Full_x64_vc16_Release\INSTALL.vcxproj]
,5): error MSB3073: exit /b %1 [F:\blender-git\build_windows_Full_x64_vc16_Release\INSTALL.vcxproj]
,5): error MSB3073: :cmDone [F:\blender-git\build_windows_Full_x64_vc16_Release\INSTALL.vcxproj]
,5): error MSB3073: if %errorlevel% neq 0 goto :VCEnd [F:\blender-git\build_windows_Full_x64_vc16_Release\INSTALL.vcxpr
oj]
,5): error MSB3073: :VCEnd” exited with code 1. [F:\blender-git\build_windows_Full_x64_vc16_Release\INSTALL.vcxproj]
Error during install phase

I’ve had similar errors after a VS update. I ended up deleting my Blender build and recompiling from scratch. That fixed it.

1 Like

@Jonathan_Dent is correct, cmake doesn’t catch the fact that some of the runtime now has different names, just toss away your build folder and start from scratch and it’ll work itself out.

1 Like

Yeah it’s already worked itself out, did another update of vs and blender and it went away. Possibly from doing a git reset - - hard? Might save a bit of downloading if that is what did it.

Edit - I was thinking about the source folder starting from scratch, when I said it might save some downloading, not the build folder. Not sure what it would actually save at that point, but maybe a git reset - - hard does something for someone who knows. Better to just start with a new folder though