EEVEE Next

But is it still coming for 3.2 or it will be pushed further back? It sounds it still has a long way to go…

@streve
you can see the progress here

But with all the added delay and without much real testing possible (because of feature incompleteness and plethora of TODOs) it was starting to feel like a never ending project. So we decided to start pushing the developpement into master in an attempt to guide the developpement using feedback from the Blender Studio. The new implementation is hidden under a new experimental option (rB59f53f580227). My goal with this is to merge the eevee-rewrite branch into master bit by bit making sure each feature is polished.

Oh, you must be the developer because you replied and confirmed that it is indeed coming to 3.2. Can you tell me how do i build “eevee next” ?

It is hardly coming for 3.2 given my workload.

You don’t need to build anything. It is in master and hidden behind an experimental switch as written in the original post. But as of now there is nothing drawn on screen.

The experimental branch eevee-rewrite is not something I can consider usable at all.

1 Like

That’s great news! :+1:

1 Like

Great whenever it comes!

Is there going to be any improvement to irradiance baking in the rewrite?

Please keep the thread on topic.

The status of Vulkan support is not directly related to EEVEE Next, it’s a separate project. This thread is for Clément and other module developers to communicate the status of the render engine.

10 Likes

Thanks for all your efforts! :slight_smile:

From this post, what should we expect to be on master in the short-mid term?EEVEE’s Future — Blender Developers Blog

1 Like

“The first two features are already planned but we lack the resources (developer time) to bring them up to life.”
I don’t know how willing they are but the group behind the BEER/MALT engine maybe able to help ?
Have you tried contacting them ? i’m sure that something can be done and that the community can fund it like they funded the developement of BEER/MALT engine.
Their imput would also be really needed since Eevee suffer from certain limitation concerning NPR.

1 Like

Very happy to see this come into master as an opt-in experimental - we will be able to keep building custom in-house Blender builds for production from master and occasional test this out! I’ll be keeping an eye on it. Big Eevee user here!

2 Likes

Hi, perhaps this is dumb question, but I haven’t been able to find an answer on developers portal nor blog posts, so I’d like to ask here.
In Eevee next, will following “issue” be addressed?

• during viewport playback or when navigating viewport it allows only one sample, therefore antialiasing is gone and AO and other effects dont work properly. (Denoise doesn’t help much, it erases a lot of details).
    I’m using blender for interactive presentations alot and this is a real downer. Also I believe it’s very relevant for VR\AR as well.
    I’ve heard about possible transition to deferred rendering, so perhaps that would somehow help, or allow for more samples\frame during playback with strong graphic card?
    Thanks for any hints.
2 Likes

After vulkan replaces opengl in the future, does it mean that eevee2.0 still needs a major rewrite?

1 Like

No. There’s already a layer between blender and opengl called Gawain(?) which means they can switch the back end to Vulcan (or metal) without any changes, but the Vulcan back end still needs a lot of work

5 Likes

This is really great news, thanks a lot! I hope there will be a thread here at devtalk like the one for Cycles Metal.

非常期待Enext 初步呈现,早点能体验最安逸

no.

this is what’s happening.

4 Likes

eevee is GPU only renderer

only thing that would change is minimum OpenGL requrement to 4.3, so 2013< gpu (so at least Radeon HD 5000, GTX 400. Intel 8th Gen’s HD Graphics and above unless there are some bugs in drivers in those old unsupported GPU)

minimum, but is it p̶l̶a̶n̶n̶e̶d expected to have features required by higher openGL levels?
Like bindless textures that are in 4.4(?) or sparse textures?

1 Like

Gawain was a comparability layer between legacy open gl and core profile. The abstraction layer you’re referring to is called gpu module. When adding other backend still ( a ton) of work needs to be done as every backend comes with different requirements.

3 Likes

Moderation note: Please note that this topic is not the proper place for feature requests or speculations. Please keep it on topic.

11 Likes

Bit of a question about this Eevee-next.

Will it support deferred rendering or something similar? I would like to see support for more than 128 active lights in Eevee.

1 Like