Documenting Blender 3.0 in History, can I get some feedback?

Here’s what I wrote for this page. I think I’ve gotten it right, for the most part, but would like some feedback anyways before I submit it, hows this?

Blender 3.0 – Optimizing Performance

3.0 – Asset Browser added, Cycles X, Eevee Attributes, New geometry nodes, animation update, Grease Pencil line art improvements, pose library, Open Image Denoising 2-8x faster, additional support for AMD on linux.

3.1 – Major point clouds improvements, Cycles Apple Metal GPU support, Subdivision GPU support, image editor handles larger images, Major performance gains for geometry nodes, context aware search for geometry nodes.

3.2 – Light groups for Cycles, true Shadow caustics, volume motion blur, GLTF improvements, AMD GPU Rendering on Linux, painting in sculpt mode, WEBp image support.

About Blender 3.0

• Ability to have a pose library was not new. What was new was the use of asset browser to show thumbnails of poses and the way to set a pose. A lot of feedback on that new pose library was about making its workflow faster. So, I would talk about a “first step of new pose library” or, at least, a “NEW pose library”.
  • Main novelty about new geometry nodes was the support of Fields. That is as much important or more important than Eevee Attributes support. If you mention Eevee Attributes, you have to mention Fields.
    And if you want to go a little bit into details about GN, you can clearly see on wiki page, that the biggest blocks of new geometry nodes are Curve Nodes.
  • Animation update is a little bit vague. I would talk about ability to override FCurve and NLA modifiers and new posing tools.
  • Grease Pencil improvements were not limited to Line Art modifier. There were 4 new GP modifiers to help with stylization ( Vertex Weight Proximity, Vertex Weight Angle, Length & Dot Dash). So at least, add a “&” symbol between Grease Pencil and Line Art.
  • I would add a couple of things : Controller support for VR, Sequencer improvements, Area Management improvements, USD Importer, Knife Tool improvements from 2021 GSOC.

About Blender 3.1

• Point Clouds improvements were just about their rendering by Cycles. Currently, they are still not directly rendered by Eevee. So, I would not talk about a major improvement. I would simply talk about Cycles support of point clouds rendering.
  • I would add support of Vertex Creasing. Many modellers considered it as a game-changer and were expecting the feature since a long time.

About Blender 3.2

• MNE shadow caustics are estimated as indicated in their name. They are not true. They are fast, very fast.
  • I would add Baking to UDIM tiles, Collection Assets support, Named Attributes support by Geometry Nodes, Curve Pen tool, Library Overrides UI in Outliner reworked, Deprecation of legacy pose library.
1 Like

There are also official release notes for each Blender version at the Blender wikipedia page, which is maintained by @MetinSeven.

2 Likes

which is maintained by @MetinSeven.

It is not, devs are responsible for documenting their own work in the release notes

1 Like

One can always call on me to modify, rearrange or spellcheck anything in the Wiki, I’ve still got access, but I’m not an active Blender Wiki maintainer anymore. It was one of my tasks during a temporary period as a Technical Artist.

1 Like

That would be great, I already posted the patch on developer, but it seems like it definitely needs a bit more work, here’s the patch: ⚙ D15579 Adding 3.0+ to the Version/Revision Milestones in the documentation.

Let me know if your up for it, or if you want me to re-edit it first.

Hows this?:

Blender 3.0 – Optimizing Performance

3.0 – Asset Browser added, Cycles X, geometry nodes support fields, New geometry nodes, animation update, Grease Pencil & line art improvements, new pose library, Open Image Denoising 2-8x faster, additional support for AMD on linux, Controller support for VR, Sequencer improvements, area management updates, USD importer.

3.1 – Cycles support for point cloud rendering, Vertex Creasing added, Cycles Apple Metal GPU support, Subdivision GPU support, image editor handles larger images, Major performance gains for geometry nodes, context aware search for geometry nodes.

3.2 – Light groups for Cycles, true Shadow caustics, volume motion blur, collection support in asset browser, cruve pen tool,GLTF improvements, legacy pose library depricated, AMD GPU Rendering on Linux, painting in sculpt mode, UDIM tile baking, outliner library overrides reworked, UI WEBp image support.

Just let me know which text you’d like to see where, including a link to the Blender Wiki page that should be altered.

1 Like