Discussions for "Better snapping and precision modeling"

Also it was decided to not to use term “origin” in context of temporal snapping points, since it can be heavily confused with object origin snapping during discussions, especially if to take into account that lots of people confusing origin with pivot, so lots of explanations are needed about “3ds Max pivot this, Maya Pivot that, and the are not the same as Blender origin since behave differently.”

1 Like

Yes but the continuous focus on that explanation just stalls the discussion.

4 Likes

You make a lot of sense.

1 Like

There was lots of proposals, discussions and even testing realizations past years, including B.A.S.E. snap enhancement proposal that described such kind of mechanics.

Discussions was a bit scattered across different forums though.

3 Likes

That is exactly what I proposed as well. Any chance to have these scripts updated to Blender 3.0 in the meanwhile? This will also need to be in vanilla Blender ASAP.
The two and three point alignments (B.A.S.E.) should be a new operator.

Whereas the Translation, rotation and scale should become part of their respective tools as persistent toggle (like I mentioned, as a button in the Pivot drop-down/ pie menus). If they were a modal, you would need to enable them in every transform operation, which becomes tedious quickly.

Think of it as the TT Tools in Kekit, these can be hotkeyed so you will always have a view + mouse direction based plane/ axis constraint while transforming, as opposed to hitting XYZ each time. Toggle on/ off when needed, subsequent commands will keep the same state after toggling the mode.

@1D_Inc Is there any chance these scripts of yours can be ported over to Blender 3.0 anytime soon?

It was a decade of making snapping scripts and testing solutions, so we decided to help to obtain versatile core solution that cover critical demands instead of keeping maintaining snapping addons.

3 Likes

I’d kill to have this native

1 Like