Discussions for "Better snapping and precision modeling"

Thanks for the patch, it was added to the undefined milestones.
Its usefulness still needs to be discussed a little more, since it adds more information to the interface.

2 Likes

Would D5644 fit T73993 as well, or is it more of a papercut fix?

1 Like

Iā€™m making progress with the much requested "Move with Base Point":
https://developer.blender.org/D7000

It is possible that the industry will benefit from this change in blender 2.83!
Otherwise the next LTS version of blender will only be in May 2021.
(And the industry will spend all this time without this feature)

Please test the build at https://blender.community/c/graphicall/Skbbbc/ and report in the patch anything it needs to improve.

19 Likes

Thatā€™s a nice feature. But the feature the industry will miss the most in the LTS version is the "Face Center Snapping" imho.

7 Likes

This is what we all expected.
Also prestigious choice to ensure that this functionality is implemented in blender 2.83 LTS.
you are the best :slight_smile:

Now thatā€™s a Feature!

I did tests with the new patch and is simply fantastic to be able to align dozens of objects quickly with just a few clicks.

For me it is OK, if I have to give an opinion, even if another snap, I am of the opinion that for a LTS, to appear complete, the point-to-point snap on a rotation fulcrum should also work in a similar way ā€¦ otherwise it seems an uncompleted feature.

5 Likes

Unfortunately we donā€™t have time to implement other features.
So we have to focus on the possibility of having at least the "Move with Base Point".
It is already difficult to get approval from other developers.

8 Likes

I understand, and it is already a great thing that this long-awaited snapping is coming.
It makes little difference to me so much I will immediately use the consecutive version of LTS and so on, mine was just a logical reasoning of ā€œcoherenceā€ probably the people and especially corporations for LTS who will use this new snap expect a similar way of working also for the rotation, and in fact to me mentally triggered almost automatically try to make a snapping on a rotation fulcrum as I described on the image (probably my memory is taught by other software)

The question to be discussed is whether or not we should implement this feature in blender 2.83 (LTS).
Information indicating that this feature may be incomplete tells me otherwise.

1 Like

For me it is however an advantage to have this ā€œMove with Base Pointā€ snap, on this I have no doubts.

Mano-wii - THANK YOU. Itā€™s a fantastic initial implementation and I waited for this forever.
It works like a charm with the move toolā€¦
BUT.
But but butā€¦

I hate the tools with all my heart. I ignore them completely.
I use the Tweak tool only and the GRS shortcuts.

Shouldnā€™t it be possible to apply the basepoint method to those workflows too?

I simply imagine the pre-selection highlight happening all the time when snap is on.
Then I could just click and drag to tweak or hit G when Iā€™m above the vertex Iā€™d like to snap with.

What do you think?

Also right now - although it only works with the currently selected object (left one on my image), it can still pre-select on another object, and if I move from its one point to another Iā€™ll move my selected object exactly that much. It can be a cool feature but is this intended?

Based on my last request Iā€™d rather see the right object being selected and moved with this click.

I think that by design, with Modal Tools, with ā€œGā€ as ā€œgrabā€, you cannot conceive a ā€œclick a pointā€ (snapped) to ā€œmove to another pointā€
This by design is functional only with Active Tools, where you first enable the ā€œmoveā€ function and then click on an object to move it.
And I think this is precisely the reason if until now it had not been implemented ā€¦

We have to think about other users and not change a behavior from water to wine.
Everything needs to be a gradual process.
These changes will certainly not be approved by other developers or artists in the studio.

3 Likes

I know what you mean, but I think you can.
At least with Tweak (simple grab) I should be able to grab the model at a specific point. The Active Tool Move is not that different in this regard. You donā€™t click on the gizmo, you click on a vertex.

mano-wii: I agree that a constant pre-selection highlight would be too much. But it should be an option (when snap is on).

Itā€™d be nice if the snap point was set on init, inside the transform operator itself, rather than passed through a gizmo. The gizmo is a nice visualization, but limiting the feature based on the active tool and/or gizmo visibility feels a bit short-sighted.

This is how it works everywhere.

My issue here isnā€™t the UX of having to select a gizmo to use the feature, itā€™s the fact that the gizmo is being used to handle data that should be handled by the operator. The gizmo isnā€™t doing anything special here, and the transform operators use a combination of init and invoke functions that would make setting the snap point on init fairly easy.

Implementing the feature in an internally inconsistent way in order to scrape in under deadline will only make the code harder to maintain in the long run.

1 Like

I donā€™t see it as inconsistent. The Snap gizmo is just another gizmo that can be used not only by the transform tool, but by the ruler, knife, bisect and others that need snap.

It will allow you to deduplicate code and thus facilitate maintenance (since the code will be isolated in the snap_gizmo.c file)

Operators are not activated (and should not be) when you activate a Tool.

7 Likes