VSE Effects and Filtes doubles and are implemented in 3 different ways.
The very same effect functions in the Effect Strips, in the Color Mix strip and in the Sidebar panel:
Effect strips doubles in Color Mix strip:
Effect Strips doubles in the Blend Modes:
Color Mix Strip doubles in the Blend Modes:
The general opinion in the VSE chat is that most of the Effect Strips are unneeded and clutter the timeline and should be removed if possible.
Observations on the Effect Strips:
Add, Subtract and Multiply. Needs two inputs. Has no slider for changing the amount.
Overdrop, Alpha Over, Alpha Under. Needs two inputs. Has Default Fade option. When checked a Fader Slider shows up. Without this slider option the effect is useless, because without it, it just show the one of the strips with no transparency.
Color Mix. Needs two inputs. Has a Blend Mode and a Blend Factor. The latter doesn’t have any effect(must be a bug?).
Multicam Selector. Needs more than two channels below. This Effect should have a button to auto split the preview into a main screen(channel 0), and below this make a line of the additional channels - each with a button to make that channel the active one at that frame.
Transform. Needs one input. Has several options. Position X, Y is also in the Adjust Sidebar panel. Should all of the Transform options go into the Sidebar or the other way around? Patch to transform in Preview is waiting(needs improvement?).
Speed Control UI is a mess. Needs one input. Patches to improve strip drawing(needs improvement?) and panel(needs improvement?), are waiting.
Glow, Gaussian Blur. Needs one input. Has several options. All working. Odd: if more strips are selected, the effect will only be added to the overlap area.
More odd Filter things:
- When Offset isn’t checked, Crop actually stretches the strip.
- When Offset is checked, Left and Bottom will offset the Strip and Right and Top will actually crop the strip.
- The Transform strip seems to do the correct things, but has no crop.
- Should all of the two input effects only be available in the Adjust > Compositing > Blend Mode, but with the options added here(there is no options now and no blend factor)? Or if there is an advantage of having them as strip, then maybe all of them could be collected in Color Mix?
- Should all of the one input effects only be available as filters in the Adjust > Compositing?
- Should the multi input MultiCam have the UX improved?
- If the effects are moved away from the strips, should there be some other kind of effect/filter indicator on the strip or not?
- If changed, what to do with backward compatibility?