Cycles Requests

Is the addon in 3.4 only, because it doesn’t appear to be in 3.31

1 Like

I think that the testing add-ons are disabled in the release. You could probably download the nightly Blender and copy it from there to your add-ons folder.

1 Like

Update on this,

It looks like someone did an OSL script, an official implementation would be nice :slight_smile:
If a freelance developer is interested in implementing such feature in main, but lacks the time/money to do so, please send me a DM

14 Likes

Having a freelance developer doesn’t necessarily mean the code will get the treatment it deserves. Parallax Occlusion Mapping has been asked for for quite a while now and has been waiting for over a year for review. It has not been accepted, rejected or even looked at. So the “If a freelance developer wants to submit code…” statement is not very meaningful sometimes from Blender developers, regardless of reasons why.

4 Likes

Parallax as a feature has been accepted. But needs other parts of the Eevee rewrite finished first.

1 Like

I believe they are “work in progress” as stated in the titles?

Not sure why you think it’s just waiting for review.

I think, That wasnt his point, he talks about completely different thing by replying to BD3D ,
sometimes its better to focus on all the paragraph people write rather than a couple of words like ‘‘waiting for review’’.

I don’t think I am missing the point. I interpreted his paragraph as “freelance submitted the code and the Blender devs don’t even look at it at all, therefore the feature request is hopeless”, and gave POM as an example. But the example he gave just isn’t the case.

He doesnt say feature request is hopeless fully but when a freelancer make a code or build and wanna integrate it, developers mihgt not easily accept or might not feel need for it sometimes or might want to do it by their own with new implementation in the way they think its better and it might cause delays,

If EEVEE NEXT was a motivation for POM to be integrated. Without EEVEE NEXT decisions, POM might kept waiting. So I dont think he gave a very wrong example about it because he also never made absolute statements, just mentioning a possibility.

So he just replies to BD3D who want that feature that he talked about for example, and he says even if BD3D find a freelancer and make something for it, the devs might make it waiting for rewiew for years if they think its not priority or not well integrated as they want, So he just talk about possibility according to his own point of view.

Yes blender has a problem with centralization, None the less, I spoke with the developers on this matter (regarding a different feature), from what i heard from official source, if we submit a design task first, and if this task is accepted before doing any groundwork on the source code, everything should be fine.

Anyway this is purely hypothetical so far, if some dev contacts me and wants to work on such feature for cycles I’ll let everyone know

1 Like

Can you elaborate on what you mean with “a problem with centralization” ?

Sure this is the right place to do this? :slight_smile: This is purely opinionated of course, and IMO it starts to be a bit off-context. To put it in perspective, there’s a quote you said one day “blender is not a democracy”, I am unsure if you remember it, I do very clearly, and that’s what I’m referring to. In short, I believe there could be a better development/funding structure where the end-user would have more governance on the software evolution.

If you think it’s offtopic, don’t bring it up… as for my quote, don’t remember saying it, can’t say i disagree with it though, i mean ton is on the BDFL list on wikipedia hard to argue with that point.

I was mostly curious where your opinion that there was a problem rooted from, were you complaining that there’s a quality bar for code to make it into blender? or there was something else that lead to this opinion.

3 Likes

Let’s continue this discussion in private if you’d like :slight_smile: what do you think? (if I’ll develop it will be much more off context)

edi1t* just did :slight_smile:
edit2* and failed :laughing:

3 Likes

Ton I think explained it best here (but watch the full video, it’s excellent): Ton Roosendaal explains Free software development in 6 minutes - YouTube

TL;DW: Blender development is less a democracy and more a meritocracy (and IMO for a good reason).

9 Likes

Disagreement is expected when a large group of people get together, think personally i have had disagreements with virtually every core dev at least once. It’s a learning opportunity honestly, there were times i was dead wrong and i’m happy whomever i had a disagreement with stuck to their guns, other times you lose the argument while you still are convinced you are right, such is life. As long as it is not a long string of continued bad calls by the module owners, I wouldn’t classify this a problem, it’s just working with a large group of people.

As for who makes these calls, it’s the individual modules, if there’s disagreements, the problem can be escalated to The Admins by the module members.

6 Likes

I was unclear. I’m speaking of POM for Cycles. Here is the instance I am referring to, where it clearly says "waiting for review and " no one has been assigned. If I misunderstand, I apologize now.https://developer.blender.org/D9198

1 Like

Well again the title says [WIP] meaning work in progress, it means the person hasn’t finished developing the code yet. When patches are finished, often times they remove the [WIP] in title and add some relevant developers in that module as reviewers.

2 Likes

I can’t really remember where I read it, but I seem to remember POM for cycles was more or less rejected because the core devs preferred to optimize microdisplacements / true geometry. So at that point the author of that patch probably quit working on it.

In an ideal world the author of that patch would mark it as ‘abandoned’ if that is the case. But as lots of people do blender coding as a hobby you can’t really expect them to correctly tick all bureaucratic boxes.

It is a bit of a nuisance that because of the multiple communication channels (here, developer.blender.org, blender.chat mailing lists) not always all relevant communication ends up in a visible place.

Not ideal, but it is what it is.

4 Likes

Thankyou. I thought that in this case w-i-p was because of the need for a reviewer only. I understand better now.

1 Like