Counting number of total rays cast

Hi,

I am seeing that the total number of rays cast (or total number of BVH traversals) is greater than number of samples per pixel * total number of pixels, even when I set the max_bounces to zero.

I guess even with max_bounce set to zero, there is still >1 bounce happening?

Just for purely debugging purposes, is it possible to set the total bounces to zero, and only cast primary rays? I assume that in this case, the total number of rays will be equal to number of samples per pixel * total number of pixels?

Thanks,
GB

I am seeing that the total number of rays cast (or total number of BVH traversals) is greater than number of samples per pixel * total number of pixels, even when I set the max_bounces to zero.

I’m curious, is there already a ray counter (or other kind of rendering statistics) in Blender or did you hack it in?

I guess even with max_bounce set to zero, there is still >1 bounce happening?

I haven’t looked at the code in quite some time, but I would expect that even with bounces=0 shadow rays are still being traced for hit points generated by camera rays.

Thanks. I basically hacked something in to count the rays in the path_trace() function.

Will be good to have some sort of rendering stats as a general output option though.

Good point regarding shadow rays.