Compositor improvements

I’d add easy use of compositor for image editor filters to that list, but the image editor needs to be improved to be a real image editor first. Get proper support for multilayered images and utility layers and such. Overall blender could use more integration between it’s editors.

All in all totally agree with your post.

4 Likes

Another major issue that is a deal breaker for serious composite work is the lack of time related tools. Holding frames, referencing other frames in the tree for various temporal tasks is a must have.

6 Likes

++ Holding Frames — especially in the Loader nodes. Also setting them to loop would be nice

1 Like

+1 for time related UI improvements. For example there are differences between the way the VSE represents shot start and end and the way the Image/movie node does. If we can’t “send” clips between VSE and Comp, perhaps we could more easily send Metadata like clip start/end, speed, reverse etc.?

I imagine at least a dynamic link between assets so that they play in a synchronised way. So you could have a VSE timeline view below the compositor, so that you could slide and trim the clips as required. You could visualise the active asset (strip) by isolating it in the VSE preview monitor. This is much quicker than cacheing from the Preview node, at least for line up and timing to sound.

4 Likes

Are you guys aware of this re-coding of the compositor project?

“This is an experimental and unofficial Blender branch (https://www.blender.org/). Its main goal is to improve the performance of the compositor. It may tackle some of the objectives described in this task: https://developer.blender.org/T74491 . But probably not in the same way as proposed.”

Experimental builds can be found at Graphicall ex. Win here:

7 Likes

Hi all,

Can you have a look at Compositor Improvement Plan: relative space ?
Need your feedback on this topic.

3 Likes

I am a bit late to the party and I am new here. Plz forgive me if my etiquette is not aligned with the community’s (feedback is much appreciated). I am relying on Blender heavily in my research. It is by far the “BEST” tool ever. The one thing I desperately need in the compositor is having multiple viewer node output to different images. Currently (Blender 2.90) only the active viewer node outputs to the image editor. I use multiple AOVs and wish to access their output from memory or at least from the image editor.

Great community.
Thanks.

2 Likes

I don’t know if this thread is still active, but just in case I wanted to point out one of the main issues I have when rendering from the compositor, which is that the file output node does not output cryptomatte metadata in a useful way (it all gets mushed together into a single channel, and becomes unusable in 3rd party programs such as nuke).

I also wanted to point out to this thread that I opened a while ago about how to make the passes’ naming more flexible and practical (in my view), that I think may be of some use here.

Anyway, I hope the compositor gets some love! It has a huge potential, but unfortunately it lacks a lot of optimizations (and features that are mentioned here) to be as a production-level tool.

1 Like

This sounds like using a second “Render Layer” node and setting the second one to a another scene. This is possible right now. And of course you can use different render engines, for example to get the EEVEE bloom on top of a Cycles Render:

1 Like

There are new builds up of the Compositor Up fork which includes many improvements. The latest adds a Camera View node and Auto-Compositing.

Download: https://blender.community/c/graphicall

15 Likes

wow. A Camera View Node is fantastic news.

whaaaat? :scream: :scream: :scream:

This are amazing news!

Just bumping this thread to express my hopes to have all these improvements into master.

Any chance?

If this could be reviewed and put to master would be awesome. He has done some great work.

I am interested to have a layer stack compositor same as the other classic programs like Krita or Photoshop.

Just have about 50 layers with their color+mask in a single stack, not creating trees of endless alpha over nodes. Neither a group of alpha over trees (which is slow).

1 Like

Sorry for shameless plug. I’m playing with that idea for while:

2 Likes

After having to work with the Blender compositor for the last few weeks I’ve written down some thoughts on it. Feel free to ignore, i just had to get it off my chest.

• It’s painfully slow!
  • Really basic and dumb – always recalculating everything instead of only recalculating affected nodes.
  • No caching functionality for preview.
  • Even if nothing is being displayed that has to be rendered, a simple frame change can keep the computer busy loading who knows what.
  • To stop Blender from doing that, one has to untick “use nodes”. That is extremely hidden and shouldn’t even be necessary.
  • No native way of solo-ing nodes (node-wrangler fixes that in a way).
  • If you have to solo a node at one end of a big comp to check something and then go back to the other end of the comp script you have to zoom out, move, zoom in, and solo again.
    In another compositing software its literally a press of a button to achieve the same.
  • So many crucial nodes are missing.
    An exposure node was just added recently … i mean come on.
    Dilate/erode only works on single channel - to make it work on RGBA one has to make a custom node group using drivers for the radii … really?
  • Not able to zoom out far enough. A big comp script easily fills more than can be displayed.
  • No shortcuts to display different channels. Having to manually select the desired channel in a drop-down menu is extremely slow.
  • The frame node is pure garbage:
    • No way to disable the annoying behavior that it parents other nodes all the time.
    • The corner to resize the frame node it is literally 1px, instantly increasing my blood pressure.
    • No way to set the label text bigger than 64px (which is really small in a big comp script).
    • No straight forward way of re-ordering multiple frame nodes in Z if they overlap or occluding each other.
  • The way to roto something is ridiculous.
  • Probably a lot more that I’m forgetting right now.

In my opinion the whole compositor of Blender needs to be rethought and build up from scratch:

• to store an arbitrary number of channels not just RGBA.
  • to have the ability to define which channels a node is affecting.
  • to have a proper caching system for preview and in order to not having to recalculate everything all the time.
11 Likes

Mostly because is a historical design, played really well in the context of Blender internal. Now things are exactly the opposite. That would lead to design the compositor in a totally new way.

1 Like

I remark each one of those points!
And as @anon10078140 says, I’d like to see some composite in the viewport, some cheap but common and useful 2d filters applied directly on what you see in the viewport. For example: RGB curves, some tonemapping, bloom, lens distortion…
About how to implement this, I imagined Nodetrees for cameras, where you find only relevant nodes.

3 Likes