Companion Videos

I just had a thought cross my mind …

I’ve been working on a personal project for the past few months. I’ve been making video walk-throughs for each document page for the Blender 3.0 docs.

I posted this in the chat - but I thought it wouldn’t hurt to also post it here.

It just dawned on me today as I was preparing for the next few docwalks that it could be somewhat valuable to stick the associated video link in the related document page.

If the community is interested, that is.

I still have quite a few more to go; but either way, here’s the playlist so far:

youtube.com/playlist?list=PLsgzqaNeZAaYksngedAR-Khcnr3Si9Pif

I’d be more than happy to keep it up to date as well. I mean, that was my plan anyway. I’m also planning on doing a series for Python 3.9, the Python PEP, and Blender’s Python API.

Anyway - let me know :slight_smile: Take care …

4 Likes

I think I’ve watched them all (so far). It’s nice to watch someone going through it all like that, especially when the experience differs from my own so I can see it through your eyes.

I am personally responsible for a few minutes of your confusion in the “areas” one. “What?! This shouldn’t work… is this a new feature or is it broken?… why is this not in the manual?” LOL

1 Like

It’s definitely interesting to go through the manual :slight_smile:
I’ve tinkered with Blender since like 2013 and I thought I knew it pretty well. I am totally a victim of the Dunning-Kruger effect :stuck_out_tongue:
I’m realizing just how much I didn’t know. It’s kind of embarrassing.

Things just change quickly. Although done for the 3.0 documentation, some of those videos were made four and five months ago - for a version that came out earlier this month. So there was bound to be some missing pieces, as documentation is usually the last thing we update. For the video that I tripped you up in particular (the “Areas” one), that note about areas needing to be the same size was removed from the manual in August.

1 Like

haha - ok, I just re-watched that. Yep.
In fact, I used to get really screwed up with my areas because of that limitation. I’m glad for the change.

Things just change quickly.

That makes sense. I had a few pretty big lulls between recording sessions too; though I am trying to fly through production as quickly as possible.
I figure, once the series is complete, keeping it all updated should be a lot easier. At any rate, I’m glad for the documentation update - thank you. Plus, it made for an entertaining re-watching of the video … hah

1 Like

Actually the documentation change was done by @Alaska, probably while cursing that I hadn’t done it myself. LOL

1 Like

Love the project that’s so much work wow

1 Like

One thing I have found is that YouTube doesn’t let you make changes to uploaded videos, you have to upload new ones. Contrast Vimeo, which lets you upload revisions to videos.

Another thing is that YouTube’s commenting system has been going pretty haywire lately. It deleted one of my comments because it had the word “JMP” (I was explaining something about assembly language) and another because it had the word “old”. In each case, take out that one word, and the rest would post fine.

Ah - well then, thanks to both of you … everybody, actually, for doing what you guys do :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you :slight_smile: I appreciate that.

YouTube doesn’t let you make changes to uploaded videos

This is true. However, they now allow you to edit and order your playlists - which, while not the ideal solution, is workable. Vimeo is awesome, but they can get kinda pricey … at least last I checked.

YouTube’s commenting system has been going pretty haywire lately

Haha - oh man, so true. Ya, they have a lot of bugs to work out.

Would a free account at Vimeo not be enough?

Have they changed things? I’ll have to take another look. I thought I remembered there being pretty tight limits on video length & quality (file size) as well as upload frequency.
I dunno - I’ll take another look though; it’s been a while since I last checked.
[edit]
I just tried to upload one of the docwalk videos and it exceeded the weekly limit for the basic plan.
I wouldn’t mind getting a paid account at some point, but right now my startup is in the “super tight budget” phase. The Blender videos are just something I’m doing on the side.

Yes, Vimeo has limits on weekly uploads and total uploads. And last I checked, you were also restricted to a maximum of 720p resolution and 30fps.

Another option is DeviantArt, though you have to have a paid “Core” account to upload videos†. Not sure what the prices and limits are there …

†At least, directly-playable ones.

I have also heard some YouTubers talk about LBRY. Maybe worth a look …

1 Like

Huh - I’ve not heard of it. I’ll check it out. Thank you :slight_smile:

I know the Blender manual currently has PeerTube as the preferred video hosting platform. Source of information: Markup Style Guide — Blender Manual

2 Likes

PeerTube? Man, I am so out of the loop. lol
Thanks for the recommendation :slight_smile:
[edit]
oooh, oh kay. Yes, I’m vaguely familiar with PeerTube. I’ve stumbled across a few of the instances.