Building blender - install_deps - "no module named setuptools", while building Numpy

Hi,

I’m hoping someone can help me. I’m trying to build Blender on a fresh install of Fedora 28. Unfortunately I’m stuck at the install_deps.sh stage. It gets as far as Numpy, and then I get this:

ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'setuptools'
ERROR! Numpy-1.15.0 failed to compile, exiting

I’m trying to build the master branch. It looks like it’s trying to use the newly built Python 3.7 to build numpy, and failing because that doesn’t seem to include setuptools.

I’d appreciate any help anyone can give me; please ask if you need any more information.

Thanks,

Matt

Installing a python-setuptools package may solve the issue?

@mont29, guess we need some tweak to install_deps.sh.

What would be interesting is finding why it needs to build numpy? I’d expect fedora 28’s 1.14 python3-numpy package to be used, since we only require >= 1.8…

@mont29 it looks like it builds numpy because it’s built Python (which it builds because Fedora 28 has Python 3.6.6):

if [ "$_do_compile_python" = true ]; then
    compile_Python
    PRINT ""
    if [ "$NUMPY_SKIP" = true ]; then
      WARNING "Skipping NumPy installation, as requested..."
    else
      compile_Numpy
    fi
  fi

What’s interesting is that checking out b07d866cf6d206 (the commit before the libraries were updated), and forcing a build of Python 3.6.2 works. The output of the Python build includes this:

Collecting setuptools
Collecting pip
Installing collected packages: setuptools, pip
Successfully installed pip-9.0.1 setuptools-28.8.0

The output of the 3.7 build looks like it tries to run the ensurepip, which I’m guess might provide setuptools as well as pip, and fails with:

ModuleNotFoundError: No module named '_ctypes'

Ok, looks like https://bugs.python.org/issue31652 is the problem. Installing libffi-devel does the trick, so I guess that’s now a dependency if you want to force a Python build on Fedora, and certainly until Fedora update to 3.7.

Thanks for the pointer @mont29.

Matt

Thanks, updated install_deps to install that package when building python now. :slight_smile:

Hi,

Same issue here, but install_deps.sh isn’t installing libffi-devel. I put some debug text in at line 3475 and it reaches that point, but doesn’t output any error or a sudo prompt. (running script as a normal user)

If I manually install libffi then all is good.

openSUSE Leap 15.0, x86_64