Boolean Improvements

It’s absolutely wonderful! I am super thrilled with the new solver and compared it to all the other softwares I own. No complaints here.

2 Likes

Found a case where it breaks.

1 Like

Please use the bug tracker to report breakages, with example .blend attached. Thanks.

3 Likes

Will I be able to run clean bevel around the sharp edges after boolean like in this case difference operation text with sphere?

The problem here is not with Boolean, but rather with Bevel (which I’m also responsible for, with help from Hans now). Bevel needs a major upgrade which is to be able to move gracefully over vertices and edges that it runs into. I’ve said many times now that I intend to work on that as my next big project after boolean, so I better follow through with that. :grinning:

17 Likes

Speaking of new boolean modes, I know you just did a TON of work on boolean for, like, a couple years for the new solver, but I was wondering if we might get a new boolean mode called “Slice” or “Seam”, something along those lines.

It would work like this:

If you have a plane, and use it to boolean an object, it creates an edge loop of the silhouette.

I think this is already similar to what you were discussing, just with both clear outer and clear inner on.

2 Likes

I suppose it is possible. There is another request for that seam to be output as part of the API call to Boolean, and I will probably do that.

A challenge will be how to fit all of these options into the modifier panel without making it harder to use for typical use cases or confusing for newer users.

7 Likes

Yes, if more Boolean modes were added, I think instead of toggle-able buttons like there are now, a drop down menu would be better.

1 Like

Speaking of new Boolean modes, would it be possible to add a knife mode to the modifier as well? There’s an option in edit mode (called ‘Intersect (knife)’), but it’s not available in the modifier. Here’s an image showing what I mean with a beveled cube:

I just overlapped two duplicated beveled cubes and ran the ‘Intersect (knife)’ command in edit mode (and moved one of the cubes away for visibility). What I’d like is the just the outline of the intersection between the two of them without actually cutting away any of the geometry in modifier form if possible.

I am strongly considering adding the Knife operations to the Boolean modifier. Another possibility would be to make a new “Knife” modifier, since the Knife operations don’t have much to do with the term “boolean”. What do people think?

14 Likes

It seems like a nice idea, but could you explain a little bit more what the functions of that modifier would be, and how it would work?

When I hear that, I think of houdini being able to pull out the knife tool when clicking on the modifier, allowing you to perform any number of freeform cuts on your mesh that all belong to the modifier. Is that even possible in blender?

Yeah, maybe a better name could be “split”.

I would love to have an improved knife tool for Blender. And a unique modifier would be even better.

In short, yes please:-)

I’d say split can be a boolean “mode”, while I’d like the knife to be in a separate modifier. Options can be to set weights to the cut geometry as: edgeloops, inside or outside

4 Likes

Knife modifier sounds great. Feels like the resulting output should be able to be used for shutlines or other swept/rail geometry (I don’t know the Blender terms, so I’m using CAD terminology).

2 Likes

yes, it is what I meant :wink:

@Howard_Trickey

Hi Howard - just out of curiosity, are there any plans to make the “precise mode” in the boolean modifier as fast as the “fast mode”? so basically having only one mode instead of two. Or do you think this will be always a limitation of the new boolean modifier?

cheers

It will always be somewhat slower because of the arithmetic it uses. The question is: can I make it close enough that people wouldn’t mind? I don’t know. I haven’t finished trying to speed the new one up, so I may succeed in getting it “close enough”, but I can’t predict for sure whether this will happen.

At any rate, it seemed prudent to keep the old one around for at least a few releases, in case people were depending on the behavior of that old one, or in case bugs in the new one show up. After the new one has been thoroughly stress tested, and found to fill all the needs of users (including acceptable speed), I think it might be considered to retire the old one.

11 Likes

Would like to chime in here. I am an architect and often times we want to show expressive 3d section cuts of large projects and parts of towns. For this purpose, the old boolean suffices for the most part and (albeit also slower than i would like). Whilst the accuracy of the new boolean modifier will definitely come in handy many times, it is also important to consider the performance of the old boolean for larger projects. As such, I would suggest that it remains intact until the new boolean could perform as fast as the old system.

1 Like

This might be interesting to you:

https://developer.blender.org/D8954

(A bisect modifier) Combined with modifiers on collections I think this would be a game-changer for your use-case. Same for boolean actually.

11 Likes