Blender - two official branches proposal

Wow… these changes should make it a lot easier for users.
Something that would also be helpful, especially with the Multi Object editing is Groups. This is standard in many applications like Inkscape and Libre Office.

Yes, for sure. It’s something we have discussed adding at some point. Right now we have Collections and Collection Instances, but it’s not quite the same thing as a group.

A ‘group’ here refers to multiple objects that act as a single object in your scene - similar to node groups in the Node Editor. This is different from the ‘groups’ we had in 2.7x or the current Collections.

2 Likes

Since industry standard keymap seems to be able to solve most tedious control inocnsistencies, I am abandoning the idea of two branches. Sorry, this was because of lack of information. Anyway, I am going to continue contributing ideas to industry standard keymap. (which, imho, could be better called industry standard control)

2 Likes

Awesome … Love the Collections but as you said, not the same as Groups … Especially with the new support for multi objects, applying a modifier to a Group or editing it would just make things slick. Plus Groups help a lot in Scene management, especially if they can be selected in the viewport.

1 Like

That’s fine. You can add comments to the design task here: https://developer.blender.org/T54963
I have a few small changes in mind since this was first written.

Right, that’s the main use-case. If you have an item that consists of many underlying objects, it’s often advantageous to be able to manipulate them all as though they were one thing. Collection Instances can do this, but it’s cumbersome to set up and manage.

I wouldn’t hold your breath on this though - I don’t expect it will be added for the initial release of 2.8, so it’s something for the future.

1 Like

do you see that in the end you start to enter the heart of the philosophical paradigm of blender? :grin:

1 Like

Great news… Cant wait for whatever is in store for 2.8.x Groups.
Do you think it would be possible for a basic implementation ( a basic collection of objects ) in time for the 2.8 beta ?

To add to what billrey already stated, a lot of these customizations aren’t just planned for 2.8, but can already be done with 2.79. You can change the control scheme directly from the splash screen and the preferences menu. Additional customization are also available through add-ons (e.g.: BMax Tools) and the new templates feature introduced in 2.79 (see Blender Pro).

Also, as an FYI, there already is something of a “second branch” of Blender with the Bforartists fork. Though it needs to be stressed that Bforartists is an unofficial project, as in it is not affiliated with Blender or the Blender Foundation in any way other than Bforartists being based off of Blender’s source code.

Somewhat unrelated, but did you base your Second Branch idea on how the Godot Engine is funded?

No, definitely not I’m afraid. It’s something for later.

1 Like