Blender 4.3 - Grease Pencil v3 Feedback

Hi Yann,

Thanks for the input. We’re aware that the current Grease Pencil brushes, materials as well as the rendering needs to get an upgrade. There have been many discussions in the past and I’m also currently talking to artists about how we could do things differently. I’m planning to address all this in it’s own rendering-related project.

But this is unrelated to the Grease Pencil 3 project, and I’d like to keep this feedback thread on topic.
Thank you.

ok, understood.
please let me know when and where I can post that more appropriately.
Best regards.

If you want to report bugs, then you can do that from within Blender by going to Help > Report a Bug. If you just have suggestions on how to improve the materials, but you don’t plan on working on them yourself, then those would be feature requests. We don’t accept these on any offical plattform. You might want to wait until there is a project that works on this area and give your feedback then.

I’d be happy to help work on the materials myself, that is the whole point of giving my feedback here (although this maybe is the wrong place, sorry about that, I’m a newbie here). You write me before that you were speaking with artists about brushes, I think I could really help here, I have spent 10 years refining the brushes of Tayasui Sketches so I guess I know now a little about the task at hands :wink:
Anyway, I’d be really pleased to help in any way.

3 Likes

Sorry, maybe I missunderstood. Would you want to tweak the default brushes/materials using existing functionality in grease pencil? Or would you want to help build functionality related to brushes/matierals that does currently not exist?

I guess I could do both.
This is what I submitted where I follow this two paths : I tried to make the best brushes out of what is already available (and I am pretty happy with the pencil :wink: ) and doing so I’m also nothing what could be improved to allow the creation of better brushs. And sometimes what I think a small addition would enable the creation of much more realistic brushes.

1 Like

Ok I understand better now :slight_smile: Having better default brushes would indeed be great and contributions would be welcome. I’ll have to think about where the best place to discuss this would be, I’ll let you know.

2 Likes

ok, thx.
I update the website a little and also the blender project file with new tool research.
I submitted a few bugs through the correct channel :wink: and happy to help anytime.
yann.

1 Like

Hello

Thanks for the great work Falk!

Are there plans to add node support for a grease pencil object so we can create our own materials just like we do it for 3D models using the principled bdsf (and other connected nodes)?

There are plans to change the way materials work for grease pencil, yes. But since we’re still wrapping up GPv3, there aren’t any written proposals with a plan yet. That will come later.

As a big grease pencil fan, I tested my 250 GPv2 files collection and all are loading correctly in Blender 4.3!

I have 2 questions about GPv3.

• if you open a GPv3 file in an older Blender version, what should/would happen?

• is it possible to destroy the GPv3 data inside a .blend file when saving with an old Blender version?

For example what happens if you do the following:

1. open GPv3 file in older Blender version
  2. save the file using that older Blender version
  3. open the saved file again in Blender 4.3 which has GPv3

Will the GPv3 data in the .blend file be destroyed by saving it by the older Blender version or is this never possible?

Opening a GPv3 file with 4.2 or lower will break the file and result in loss of data if the file is saved over. See Grease Pencil - Blender Developer Documentation

Is there a way to find out which Blender version was used to save a file?
If I download a file somewhere, how do I know which Blender version was used to save it, in case it contains grease pencil objects?
So in other words: how do I know what to do with an unknown Blender file (what Blender version to use to open it) in case it contains grease pencil objects?

One way is to open the .blend file in Notepad or other text editor. The first bit of text will say which Blender version was used.

1 Like

The outliner also shows this information in “blend file” mode -nevermind, it’s in “data API” mode

1 Like

Sorry, where do you see that? I can’t find it in any mode of the outliner…
Here is the Blender File mode:

My bad it’s in “data API”

Any idea why Blender 4.1.1 saves files with “24” as 3rd number?

afbeelding

In the File Browser, if you hover the file it will say the Blender version in the tooltip.
version

It works in really old files even:
old file

6 Likes

I’m use usually Nightly versions so I’m on 4.3 and GPv3.
And was happy to find out that the python API got some love and finally I can update some of my scripts.
But I encountered an issue where the .frame_number in the GPencilFrame struct is set to read only.
I’ve looked up the documentation and there that variable was not marked as read only field.
Do you guys plan on turning that field editable again?

Also I noticed that with auto key on, moving a drawing in edit mode does not create a new keyframe as it used to. Not a big deal , but it was super useful for quick keyframe generation.