Blender 3.3.0 alpha crashing at Ubuntu 20.04 LTS in VMWare

Hello friends,

I tried to run newest Blender alpha version in my Ubuntu 20.04 LTS VMWare environment. And the newest version makes trouble now. Blender 3.3.0 alpha simply shuts down at startup.

There is a crash report. And a console message about not matching GPU name. Starting Blender at Windows at the same PC works fine. I have also installed Ubuntu 22.04, and also here it starts fine.

Blender 3.2 still runs fine at 20.04. This means Blender 3.3.0 alpha has introduced a change. My question is, is this change intended? Means is it time to simply to migrate to a new Ubuntu version? Or do we have a bug here?

I would be very unhappy when i would have to migrate at this point. Ubuntu 22.04 is very unstable for me still. I cannot copy over files from Windows, get Nautilus crashes, have obscure messages in the console …

Kind regards
Arunderan

backtrace

./blender(BLI_system_backtrace+0x20) [0xc378210]
./blender() [0x11dfc4a]
/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6(+0x430c0) [0x7f6e4a42b0c0]
./blender(GPU_shader_get_builtin_block+0) [0xadaf740]
./blender() [0x19393fe]
./blender(DRW_shgroup_create+0x1d) [0x193b55d]
./blender(OVERLAY_background_cache_init+0xae) [0x19cba0e]
./blender() [0x1978f9d]
./blender() [0x1933b61]
./blender(DRW_draw_render_loop_ex+0x17f) [0x19364df]
./blender(view3d_main_region_draw+0x8f) [0x2523d1f]
./blender(ED_region_do_draw+0x841) [0x1c6c271]
./blender(wm_draw_update+0x7a3) [0x17a4553]
./blender(WM_main+0x30) [0x17a1280]
./blender(main+0x322) [0x10db512]
/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6(__libc_start_main+0xf3) [0x7f6e4a40c0b3]
./blender() [0x11dc52c]

Python backtrace

./blender
Warning: Could not find a matching GPU name. Things may not behave as expected.
Detected OpenGL configuration:
Vendor: VMware, Inc.
Renderer: SVGA3D; build: RELEASE;  LLVM;
ERROR (gpu.shader): overlay_background VertShader: 
      | 
   17 | #define depthCubeArray samplerCubeArray
      | 
      | Error: initializer of type int cannot be assigned to variable of type uint
      | 
   15 | #define depth2DMSArray sampler2DMSArray
      | 
      | 
   14 | #define depth2DMS sampler2DMS
      | 
      | 
      | 
      | 
      | 

ERROR (gpu.shader): overlay_background FragShader: 
      | 
      | 
      | 
      | 
      | 
   14 | #define depth2DMS sampler2DMS
      | 
      | 
      | 
      | 
      | 

Writing: /tmp/blender.crash.txt
Speicherzugriffsfehler (Speicherabzug geschrieben)
x@ubuntu:~/Blender/blender-3.3.0-alpha+master.b46825545325-linux.x86_64-release$ 

Best to report a bug at developer.blender.org, that way the right people can look into it and the info you provide doesn’t get lost in the chatter.

Thanks Baardaap,

This is the question here Is it a bug? Or is Ubuntu 20.04 simply deprecated :slight_smile:

This is a warning

The initializer errors look serious, though . Possibly a new version of library or driver? As Baardaap says, best to do a bug report.

1 Like

I think the issue might simply be that you are using software rendering and that the llvm pipe driver is not good enough to support some new drawing call that could have been implemented.

I don’t know if we support any software rendering pipeline so I don’t think we can provide support for this.

Thanks, will do :slight_smile:

EDIT, done : ⚓ T98022 Blender 3.3.0 alpha crashing at Ubuntu 20.04 LTS in VMWare

Yes. Sure. But it worked just fine before version 3.3.0 Alpha.

And this is my question. If it is simply deprecated now. And that Blender 3.3.0 and higher will not run at a Ubuntu 20.04 released before two years. I find this time span a bit short. Ubuntu LTS is meant to live five years. And at Ubuntu 22.04 the new Alpha version runs just fine, with the same hardware.

But when it is this way then it is this way :slight_smile:

Running blender virtualized was never supported (ie not an option in the hardware requirements, it only list physical GPUs being supported) the fact that it worked in the past, doesn’t mean we deprecated anything, you got lucky it worked, and now said luck has seemingly run out.

1 Like

Okay, so i have my answer i guess. Many thanks LazyDodo :slight_smile:

As LazyDodo stated, the issue here is not that you are using Ubuntu 20.04.
The issue is that you are using the a software rasterizer instead of an actual GPU (llvm pipe in this case).
If you had an actual graphics card (perhaps by using GPU passthrough), it could work.

Or as you already tested 22.04, the llvm pipe version in there seems to work. So you could also try to update the mesa drivers so you get the a more recent llvm software pipe version.

However we do not support this. We only support actual GPUs.

1 Like

Okay, gave the mesa drivers a shot. And upgraded to version 22.2.0. But this did not help. So it’s a new VM with a newer linux version then.

Many thanks for the help and advice everybody :slight_smile: