Asset Bundle - Base Meshes

Thanks! I saved the elephant mesh on the repository and will go over it once I’m able :+1:

1 Like

Do we really want to maintain an elephant model as part of the Blender project itself? Bundling human base meshes makes sense to me, but if we get into animals there’s so many it’s hard to draw a line and keep the amount of work under control. To me this feels more like something for a 3rd party to maintain on the upcoming extensions platform.

12 Likes

Any animal base meshes are still up in the air. For now I don’t mind collecting ideas and small contributions. No maintaining of them yet.
The focus is on human base meshes for now.
For an eventual release of an animal bundle it makes sense to get very selective (like one base mesh per animal type).

2 Likes

I agree, I would never use an elephant mesh and I would find it annoying to download extra data while downloading the base mesh pack.

3 Likes

Human base meshes alone fill a bundle with its categories.
(realistic, stylized, cartoony, ecorche, …)

Proposing, an official set of more specific asset bundles.
This avoids ambiguity of a general bundle, which never has a clean line what belongs there.

Later, if there is an extensions platform, specific bundles could have meaningful tags (referring their content), and they could happily coexist with other assets maintained by outside people.

1 Like

Eventually splitting bundles up if they ever grow too large sounds ok to me. For now I’d rather avoid that and keep the bundles focused and small, yes :+1:

5 Likes

I’d keep the download small (as possible ) for now

• perhaps in the future assets could be downloaded on demand, allowing for larger default bundles? (could be similar to how e.g. polyhaven addon works, or a more thought out feature that could be useful for projects, or a default addon) - this could be e.g. a blender studio bundle, or something of that nature.

How about some influencing classics in academic style?
I am going to retopo a David bust in my favourite style - variable density 100% quads subd manifold mesh suitable for manufactiuring/archviz/realtime multigoal.
It can be used for different purposes, for example, physics, UV, rendering, sculpting tests, topological investigations and even vaporvawe visualizations.

Does such a model fits this bundle purposes?
Thank you in advance for any answer.

3 Likes

I gave some thought on submitting base meshes.

TL;DR:
Please only submit contributions from the list of generic assets in the thread description.
Otherwise feel welcome to suggest additions.

I liked the idea of collecting any reasonable contribution but that could add up to a lot of clutter that will be cut out anyway.
The bundles should stay small and focused with general base meshes that can be used for many purposes.
For example in an animal base mesh bundle, there can be an addition of a single quadruped animal base mesh. Ideally something often used like a feline or canine. The topology can be generic enough to be able to reshape it into different animals. The base mesh is just that: A mesh to base further sculpting/modeling on.
There could be multiple quadruped base meshes, like one for hooved animals (a horse would be useful). But the topology should remain generic to be reshaped into various animals.

Same then goes for the human base meshes → Generic and reusable for many purposes.
This is not for bundles where the goal is to scatter specific assets without editing them.

10 Likes

This is very reasonable and very welcome. I was not looking forward to the asset bundles becoming a dumping ground for various useless random passion project meshes

1 Like

Thank you for clarifications)
They allow to feel the bounds better.
We will use this bust for manufacturing, I was confused by planar skull which also belongs to academic style.

3 Likes

How about a separate ear basemesh with slightly deeper cavities and customization support?

1 Like

For clarity, maybe this asset pack should be renamed to Sculpting Asset Bundle?
(I can see many more asset packs which could be useful to include in the default Blender setup, ex. an asset pack for pre-viz/animatic containing the basic assets for blocking out an animated, live-action scene, or reference scene for grease-pencil).

Trying to sketch skeleton. Looks challenging.

I’m hesitant to add too many individual body parts as their own assets. The topology of this model is better but people are also free to split face areas from the other assets and save them as new assets.
That way the bundle stays smaller.

I’d keep it with the current name. The most likely use case for them is sculpting but they are general purpose models. They can be also be used for rigging, texturing, shading, fabric creation or just as a general base to model other assets on top like armor or just draw over with Gpencil.

That’s great! Feel free make edits to the male base mesh. I wish it were 100% realistic. @dan2 wanted to eventually offer a replacement based on scan data, just like the other realistic assets. That could be a better base to work from.

3 Likes

I will try to reach the initial stage with basic lowpoly composition.
I thought occipital bone was complex, in fact os sacrum is actually full of catenoids)

2 Likes

Personally, within the scope of “general blender user population”, I don’t understand the need for individual body parts. Is there a large demand for “i need a 3D nose, but I’ll model the rest of the head myself”?

Similar question applies to “complete model of male/female with all muscles”. Who’s the target audience? I’m sure there are artists who focus on 3D medical illustration, but it feels a bit niche… and I’d imagine such artists have budget to purchase such assets that exist elsewhere.

I’m not trying to sound overly critical nor negative, but it feels like the discussion is moving in a direction that is less “bundled assets for beginning and occasional Blender users”, and more towards … “scientifically accurate models that are technically impressive.”

3 Likes

Different applications like zbrush have built-in basemesh libraries and basic scenes included which are quite influential.
I think that having small accessible library of a basic meshes with proper topology guidance is quite important, since lots of people are often trying to invent methods from scratch, and such a library will guide them in the right direction which is especially important in the beginning to avoid well known mistakes.
As a workflow designer I appreciate avoiding well known mistakes and reclaim of experience in general.

7 Likes

Well, it suddenly goes pretty well

Thanks to the internet for the lots of references…

5 Likes

A bit of a progress

Time to figure out foot bones double arch cluster.

I guess an overall lowpoly shape with surface split to bones by bevel seams - a slightly more detailed than biped has - should be enough.

6 Likes