Asset Bundle - Base Meshes

Nice models, I like sharp edges style, it emphasizes shapes well)

1 Like

Thanks)

1D_Sculpting_set_v03.zip
Added male and female ecorche+planar reference models and both ecorche+planar Sculpting Base multires sculpts that was used for their creation and also for testing shapekeyed Sculpting Base purposes. All the shapekeys were slightly modified to provide a similar shape to the corners of the mouth, which used to cause problems during multires shapes transition.

9 Likes

These look amazing! Great work :smiley:
Iā€™ll spend a bit of time soon going over the models and giving some suggestions if needed. There might be overall too many sharp edges for shapes that are typically rounded off afterwards anyway.
But afaiks these follow the other asset examples really well and should work perfectly :+1:

There are enough fixes and new models now that Iā€™ll get another update for the released bundle ready.

4 Likes

FYI that Iā€™m still working on UVā€™ng the skeleton, but have had a bunch of stuff going on so Iā€™m really just now getting back to it. :flushed:

1 Like

Awesome!
Glad to help =)

Yes, workflow-wise optimization and simplifying are iterative processes, to optimize something really hard in order to provide perception shift several steps are required. It is nice to have some intermediate stage for analysis and further simplification, so I provided some.

Iā€™ve spotted several weird distortions on my model, should not be hard to fix though.

5 Likes

Just now getting back to it again. :scream: Given lack of earlier progress, some mistakes that I now know better than make again (I now have a lot more practical know-how of data linking than I did), etc, it makes more sense to start this over from scratch. Which brings up some questions: is this still needed? If so, should I still be doing this to the wip Julien put up last September, or something fresher? Is this project still live? :skull:

2 Likes

We used LP basemesh in a couple of a projects, very handy.
At the concept level it worked pretty nice.
Something like that

6 Likes

Iā€™m back from my long break :smiley:
I do remember there were some fixes that are not bundled and uploaded yet. Iā€™ll have a look at the current assets and make sure some updates end up online soon.

Something like that
@1D_Inc Isnā€™t the existing base mesh already good for this?
Even though itā€™s not as low poly on the base and not as detailed on the subdivisions.

8 Likes

Yay! Hope it was relaxing/fruitful/refreshing/whatever you needed from it.

Just FYI that I still wanna know if thereā€™s a more recent version of the skeleton that Iā€™m supposed to be UVā€™ng, and if Iā€™m still supposed to be UVā€™ng it. :skull_and_crossbones:

1 Like

Hi! Nice to see you)

Yes, the point of my sculpting basemesh was to provide the lowest polycount possible so it could be easily tweaked and wrapped to any blockout shape with any method, while keeping nice sculptable topology with multires.

It didnā€™t changed since last post.

1D_Sculpting_set_v03.zip

1 Like

@KickAir_8p As far as I can see in the thread, nobody worked further on the skeleton, so you can go ahead with that file. Also the suggestions to rename objects sound good :+1:

1 Like

There were some feedback about current female basemesh topology.
@KickAir_8p do you remember the link?

1 Like

Do you mean this BA topic?

Yes, sure. Thank you for response.

1 Like

I think that 3-pole had to be placed there to get the edge flow and distribution right? @dan2 would know more.

In comparison to the sculpting base meshes, I see the edge flow follows the realistic direction of wrinkles and muscles a lot more closely. Thatā€™s why it should be better for animation and I thought it was a fascinating base mesh to include.
The poles could just make it a bit ugly when no additional displacement or textures are used.

1 Like

So just going to put it out there, since my comment appears in that BA topic screenshot, but I could be totally wrong.
Hereā€™s a look at my current revised base mesh for animation.

Hereā€™s how it holds up in a quick little animation test. This is all bones and weight painting, no shape keys or anything else.

Thatā€™s right, the pole is conciously placed to stop sliding when working on corrugator shapes. Itā€™s more common in vfx.

Thereā€™s a sculpting friendly basmesh without the stopping poles in my repo as well if people prefer that, depends if you would like to make facial shapes or just do some facial concept sculpting.

https://github.com/dan283/basemeshes

2 Likes

I also got a feeling that people trying to use animation basemesh for sculpting. Maybe providing some contextual clarifications will be useful.

1 Like

There is a bit of info in the name and tooltip of the asset, but yeah I wonder how much info is useful.
This was more of a case of not knowing why this topology is useful for animation. That would be too much info to add to the asset itself.

1 Like

So whatā€™s the ultimate goal here now that the extensions platform exists?
This will become downloadable content from that platform, like the addons, right?
Otherwise whatā€™s the point?
The brush assets should be there as well.
Only critical functionality should be bundled with blender imo :v: