Asset Browser functionality clarification

Hello, is there any chance 3.1 will get Extended Asset Browser too? In my current project I really need to work with collections as assets, but the original Asset Browser doesn’t support that and the Extended version is available only in 3.2 alpha which is currently not very stable :frowning:
Thank you for your work!

I’d say chances are 0%, since 3.1 has been released already.

1 Like

There will be 3.1.1, since there are some bugs to fix.

That’s still 0% since adding Extended Asset Browser would not count as a bug fix.

Yes, but there are often new features added in these minor releases. Anyway, in the worst case I will have to live with 3.2 alpha to get it.

No, not like this in a corrective release. Besides, you can see all the actual candidates yourself: ⚓ T96241 3.1: Potential candidates for corrective releases

1 Like

Thanks for info.
Offtopic: is that list complete?
I have reported a bug which has been marked as high priority, but it isn’t there :-/
https://developer.blender.org/T95428

I doubt that there is is any way that could be fixed in 3.1.1 as it is still a work in progress that needs to be finished, reviewed, and approved. ⚙ D14350 Image Engine: Float buffer cache. But there’s nothing magic about 3.1.1, as the day that patch is approved you can download 3.2 from Daily Builds. And yes this is off-topic and easy to follow from the link you supplied.

1 Like

Thank you again for reply. Once there is any new version of Asset Browser, I will at least try to be useful by providing some feedback.

What would current best practice be in Blender 3.3 for adding a group of objects to the asset browser as a single asset?

I’ve been testing the collections and instancing options, and it seem to be that the best current option is still to join the objects into a single object.

Collection asset is the only way for now AFAIK. What’s wrong with it?

Do you prefer linking or appending? For your use case, what are the benefits of a joined object over a collection instance?