As a begginer why do I need to research on google how to do a simple duplicate object in Blender?

Absolutely incorrect. Otherwise making something harder to use would always make it better. Or do you think that making it more confusing would improve it somehow for someone?

Let me make a example:

Suppose you can learn everything by shortcuts, its pretty fast to use and is better,
but you are stuck with tool icons which are easy but aren’t efficient for modeling.

Suppose you can learn to code your own tools (Better).
But you are stuck with paying for addons or waiting someone to implement a feature for you (easier).

Suppose you can learn to model anything (Better).
But you prefer to download pre-made models (easier).

When you say that an improvement to a software is better, remember It was likely not easy to implement.

With effort anything becomes easy, but remember, there’s always a better option.

None of that really supports your assertion that “Better and Easier are opposite attributes, you cant have both”. And your idea that the difficulty in learning something, in itself, makes you better at that thing is also incorrect. Or would you recommend that newcomers to Blender first change the language so that all the menus, text, and help hints are in a language that they don’t know? Sounds ridiculous of course, but that is what you get with the idea that easier to learn is bad, therefore confusing must be better.

I learned blender before learning English so, I guess language is not a trouble, I could have set blender to my language but I didn’t.

Fun fact, I learned English by watching blender tutorials.

Anyway that’s better to know one more idiom, don’t? Otherwise, I wouldn’t be talking with you.

Yes, I would never argue against learning and knowing multiple languages. But, getting back to the point, purposely changing the blender language to something you don’t know (or tying one hand behind your back, or putting on a blindfold) would make learning it more diificult. But the person learning it that way is not better off afterward in some magical way.

That is just a logical trap we get into to justify our own sunk efforts. If the barrier to entry become lower we feel that it somehow devalues our own past effort.

I don’t mean magically, but the fact that better things need some effort holds consistent, of course there are exceptions, but looks like society is built on top of these premises.

What I mean is that I don’t want blender to get dumbed out because some users might find easy, of course who already learned other software will find easy but for who never had contact with 3D that’s actually undesirable. Most 3D applications don’t behave like normal windows software.

Having a software that behave a bit differently of what you expect makes it easier to grasp new concepts.

Imagine you want to learn a new language, if you are a baby that’s easy, your head is empty. But if you already learned something, you instinctively will reuse some knowledge from your mother’s language, which makes harder to learn due to the syntax differences.
But try to learn sign language, its easier, you don’t assume previous knowledge about it.

Again, I was only responding to the above quote. That assertion is simply incorrect as those are unrelated attributes. Unless you are advocating for making Blender more difficult to learn than it is now, since that would make it better by this assertion. Keep removing features that make it easier to learn until it is truly perfect, probably a command-line application using the Inuktitut language. LOL

now you are extrapolating my examples, there’s aways a limit.
Blender don’t have to be hard, hard and better are not synonyms.

I will give a practical example.
Removing shortcuts should make it easier to learn blender somehow. but it will be always better to have a complete keymap, and in order to have a better keymap you have to dig into the painful input editor.

Improving the input editor will require effort from developers, having a complete keymap will require effort from the user in order to learn it, creating your own keymap will make it easier to you but will complicate things when trying to learn or teach someone who have a different keymap.

And don’t forget that someone had to cry and smash the keyboard in order for you to have a graphical interface.

press spacebar and search there, it’ll even teach you the shortcut key for next time. Stick with it, the blender workflow is by far the best of any 3d application in my opinion.

A good tutorial is definitely advisable to help you get up to speed faster and without having to google everything. Once you learn a few of the shortcuts, you’ll recognise that the shortcuts are actually quite logical (w for context senstive edits in edit mode, ctrl + p = polygon specific edits, ctrl + e = edge specific edits, ctrl = v = vertex specific edits…etc), then you’ll be able to figure a lot of the shortcuts out, and you’ll be working far faster in blender than any app you’ve used previously…guaranteed :slight_smile:

Really hoping they keep the same logical shortcuts in 2.8 (haven’t tried it yet).

This would be easy to advize before but in the new keymao, search is F3, left select is default and context menu is right click, not W anymore.
Its a mess.

right click will be better for the menu actually, closer to the hand…plus I used left click select from the beginning :slight_smile:

I have complete faith that if the shortcuts change, then it’ll be for the better. There’s no arguing that whoevers in charge of workflow, really knows what they’re doing. It’s what sets blender apart from the competition in my opinion.

Shortcuts didn’t changed that much, they were just removed.

1 Like

I too failed to understand the whole object mode vs edit mode affecting the outline panel very differently.
i even got confused and thought you had to be in layout mode and click layer to create a separate object.

I get reading manual is important. though I’m used to referring to it for more advanced stuff to do with modeling itself not duplicating objects.
i’d kind of rather have option to download a 4 dummies version of blender that gives you some heads up / prompts etc
like a take me to object mode from the outline panel type stuff.

posted this on RCS, I think this is what’s needed for newcomers naturally wrap their heads around the object creation system

One doesn’t have to do anything with the other. Shortcuts could remain. New shortcut policy is a lot more aggressive and disturbing - the idea is that there should be more empty keys for custom shortcuts and users should customize more. I see problems with that. As a ‘power user’ I have absolutely no problem customizing, however the problems begin when I want to teach you to use Blender and I have a completely differently controlled UI on my computer then what you have when you download Blender. I think this is a deeper problem, than it seems and it actually backfires at the new users on a very disturbingly deep level making it harder to learn workflows from the ‘power users’. At the moment things seem to move in that direction way too fast in my opinion. There are a lot of shortcuts missing. I hope in the end there will be some sort of choice for a standard full old-fashioned keymap tuned to all the new functionality, but it seems it might not be so and we might end up with a little bit more chaos in this area in the end. I hope this isn’t such a big deal as it currently seems to be to me.