Adding Mark Seams to Bool Tool

Apologies if this is the wrong place for this question. I’m a noob blender developer and this is my first post here. I’ve been making my own addons for a bit and now I realize I actually want to check something into the official blender release. There is an official addon called object_boolean_tools.py that I’d like to update. Before I dive in guns blazing I had a question about conventions.

basically after the boolean has completed I want blender to dip into edit mode and mark the new edges as seams so they can be used in a UV unwrap that I’m doing in another script.

I realize I could do this in my own scripts, but it seems worthwhile to possibly include in the regular release. But it requires some discussion as it does change the outcome behavior of the script that others may be relying upon.

the simple solution is at line 571, inject the following

obj.select_set(True)

bpy.ops.object.mode_set(mode = 'EDIT')
    bpy.ops.mesh.region_to_loop() 
    bpy.ops.mesh.mark_seam(clear=False)
    bpy.ops.object.mode_set(mode = 'OBJECT')

however this leaves the edges selected and not the boolean faces, which could break some unknown person’s scripts downstream. My question is this: is returning the state to the previous behavior a convention that I should be adhering too?

I have no idea how these kinds of decisions get made in blender and I want to tread respectfully here.

feedback appreciated.

1 Like