A&R: Introduce Yourself

Hi @DrM / Dan! Thanks for offering to help! Pop by in the #animation-module channel on Blender Chat, it’s a good place to have some more real-time discussions on things. If you just want to dive in, check out the Short Term Goals first, and TODO tasks second, on the module workboard. And of course there are plenty of bug reports (also on the same workboard); working on those could actually help quite well to get you more familiar with the code base.

Great! Perusing the bugs, always helps to make the main team happy :wink:

Hey @sybren, OK say I took on T82174 as a nice innocuous bug (famous last words). Some questions, feel free to point me towards helpful resources …

• I’m doing daily builds off 3.0-beta git://git.blender.org/blender.git
  • Which branch should I work from? Do I fork, or just create a sub branch or something?
  • Submissions are normal patches, anything special to know?
  • How is team interactions, should I ping you folks if I need pointers, or give you a heads up that I need a code review, or are you guys busy and need to be left alone, or general team interactions …
  • Anything else …

Thanks -

Dan

Hi Dan,

Use the blender-v3.0-release branch for bugfixes. Generally you’d create a personal branch off of that for the bugfix, then use Arcanist to submit it to the tracker. There’s more on the Contributing Code wiki page; it also has a link to the page describing how to submit a patch.

As for poking devs, there are two main channels to be in on Blender Chat: #animation-module and #blender-coders.

As for the bug report you chose, yeaaaaah famous last words indeed. Good luck with that one, the UI code is rather hairy. Still, just dive in and poke folks if you can’t figure things out, #user-interface-module might also be an interesting channel for this particular bug.

1 Like

Hi, My name is Pierrick.
I’m a 3D generalist with a big affinity to rigging and animation.
I work in the game industry and have been creating Blender educationnal content for almost 8 years now.

I had the chance to be there for a couple of meeting and then couldn’t attend other one.
Dropping few words here to make it more official and would be happy if I can attend any further meeting.

3 Likes

Looking forward to seeing you there!

Hi Sybren,

Sorry to ping you. was there any meeting today?
IS there a way to be notified through email or something?

I’m sorry, I’m not super forum friendly and get easily lost with the chat.blender
Just put a reminder for next meeting in my calendar :sweat_smile:

Also yes! On Animation & Rigging Module Meeting agenda | dr. Sybren you’ll find a webcal URL that you can add to whatever calendar system you’re using. It’s been tested on Google Calendar and the iPad calendar app. You can then configure your own app to notify you in whatever means you want / it supports.

Thank you very much for your detailed answer.
Just added your calendar top my outlook.

Best,
Pierrick

Hello everyone I am newbie here and I am glad to be part of this community ! :grinning:
I would like to be able to build tools and improve rigging and animation in blender.
In harmony with new technologies.

My name is Fani and it is my first experience as a member of the community.

The Blender program is what I chose to learn as a user in the beginning I first learned it as a student in the Department of Audio and visual arts of the Ionian University. I practiced alone with your free tutorials for 3 years and the reason I spend part of the community is because I believe that everyone together wherever we are can contribute as much as anyone can . I have followed a part of the instructions for the developers and I would be very interested to test the blender packages in addition to creating some improvement for the program, for now I am trying to understand how you work as a team in #animation-module.

Thank you for your time.any advice to start is welcome.

Best regards,
Fani Pandi

1 Like

Hi Fani! Welcome :slight_smile:

What are your skills? In what way do you think you could help?

Good afternoon Mr Sybren,

I apologize for not answering your question immediately.
I am still learning the different subcategories of blender chat & dev talk and as a member of the community how the company works beyond the program.

I believe that apart from the hobby and the appetite to learn blender even better for personal projects for this fall season, I could offer my skills in the animation & rigging part with some ideas of blender renewal by collaborating on new technologies.
Writing guides for users,I am already completing a document inspired by the discussions of blender chat for 2022 of course this offer is voluntary to the community and maybe become a module member to test give feed-back for the program for animation.

My educational background is on Audiovisual Arts with an integrated master and on Audiovisual Arts in the Digital Age.
Below you will find some links for my studies, my skills are in cartoon animation,3d modeling,photography, web design,graphic design (hobby) ,VR technology and sound design

Studies : DEPARTMENT OF AUDIO & VISUAL ARTS | Aim
To make a brief introduction about myself again.
As an artist I can try to give feedback on the animation, take part in discussions and together with the whole team and the community for the upcoming features.

Everything that is asked of me on animation & rigging I currently practice animation with Blender as a student I used the program in the past for my university projects and now for some new ideas.

Most of all I believe in good cooperation and the appetite for personal work for continuous improvement and in gaining new knowledge on the Blender program as a user.

Best regards,
Fani Pandi

1 Like

Thanks for the introduction! Mabye you could join the module meetings? They are announced here on Devtalk as well as the #animation-module chat channel.

It will be a great pleasure to participate in the meetings.
I have already written in the # animation-module chat channel .

Thank you for the invitation,I will attend the meetings.

1 Like

I am new to blender and animation, and I was trying to learn this on my own. Maybe someone can mentor me out here? Thanks in advance.

Hi @sirhca ,

This forum is only for development of Blender. Please see the blue banner at the op of each page, and follow the link “For questions about how to use Blender, …”

1 Like

Hi all,

my name is Ingo Clemens and I am part of a small animation studio close to Cologne in Germany. Even though we are doing most generalist work I was always interested and active in the area of rigging and animation. We have been working with Maya for the past 16 years and switched to Blender about a year ago.
Since the beginning I had been been writing various tools and plug-ins for rigging, including a personal auto rigger solution, and productivity tasks. The focus was always to keep things as simple and accessible as possible. The most well known tools are the blend shape editor SHAPES, which is widely used in many studios, and the smooth skin weights tool, because this is still a pain in vanilla Maya.
My coding knowledge of course includes MEL and python (because of Maya) and c++ for the custom nodes in Maya. Having also touched base with render management in various applications there’s also quite a list of other scripting languages which were necessary to tap into. And at one point we had a render manager written in Objective-C on macOS.
Still, I wouldn’t call myself a coder but rather coding-skilled because eventually I like to generate some output as an artist.
Additionally I had a been teaching 3d with focus on rigging and animation for almost 15 years at various schools. Seeing students often struggle with repetitive or complex tasks was the main driver to focus on the usability of tools for the artists.
I’m very excited about the plans of the rigging and animation module as a giant step forward.

Thanks,
Ingo

6 Likes

Hi @braverabbit ! Good to see you here too :slight_smile:

Thanks @sybren. Yes, me too. I’m very excited about joining the module meeting tonight.

4 Likes

I’m Clay (Brandon) Ayers. I’ve been using Blender since I donated to make it open source. Currently studying to become a professional character animator. I have done some Blender Add-On developing in the past, pre 3.0. Mainly Animator tools. I hope to be able to join some of the meetings and add to the conversations about Blender’s animation path. Good to see so many familiar faces here.

2 Likes