Notes for meeting of Monday, 9 March 2020. 11:00 CET / UTC 10:00 on #blender-coders on blender.chat.
- Today (09/03/20) is the 6th anniversary of the Blender Cloud.
- The write up for the February User Interface Workshop is online.
- Constraints “fix” (7728bfd4c45c) will be reverted for 2.82a, with a backward-compatible fix for 2.83. (Sybren Stüvel)
- Release date is still this Thursday, March 12th.
- Nathan Letwory will handle release management for 2.82a.
- Developers, be sure any intended fix to be backported is mentioned in T74274.
- Brecht Van Lommel proposes to move bcon2 to March 18th, to no objections.
- This makes bcons to fall on Wednesdays (Thursdays are too close to the weekend) and give patch reviewers more room to breath.
- Grease Pencil refactor (D6293) is planned for merge this afternoon (Antonio Vazquez).
New Features and Changes
- Adaptive Sampling: reduces the number of samples in areas that have little noise, for faster rendering and more even noise distribution. (Stefan Werner, Brecht Van Lommel)
- Progressive Multi-Jitter sampling pattern, used for adaptive sampling. (Stefan Werner)
- Vector Rotate Node: new invert option. (Charlie Jolly)
- Face Sets: new system to control the visibility state of the mesh in sculpt and paint modes. They are designed to work in modes where brushes are the primary way of interaction and they provide much more control when working with meshes with complex shapes and overlapping surfaces. (Pablo Dobarro)
- USD: support for exporting metaballs. (Sybren A. Stüvel)
- File Browser: dedicated icons for special folder locations like desktop, documents and fonts. (Yevgeny Makarov, Harley Acheson)
- Fluid: various optimizations and user interface polishing. (Sebastián Barschkis)