6 April 2020

Notes for meeting of Monday, 6 April 2020. 11:00 CEST / UTC 9:00 on #blender-coders on blender.chat.

Next week the meeting will be exceptionally on a Tuesday due to the Easters holiday.


  • Nathan Letwory started a proposal on how to handle LTS. Feedback is welcome.
  • Added contributors (welcome all!):
    • Robert Gützkow now has commit rights for the Blender repository.
    • Marco Pavanello now has commit rights for the Add-ons repository to develop “Real Snow”.
    • Michael Soluyanov now has commit rights for the Add-ons repository to maintain themes.

Google Summer of Code

  • The students’ proposals are currently under review (until April 30).
  • Mentors to start reviewing the proposals, and claim the proposals that they want to mentor.

Blender 2.83

  • bcon3 is next week’s Wednesday on April 15th.
  • Nathan Letwory will prepare a workboard to reflect what needs to be done still for the release.
  • There are at the moment 25 known high priority bugs.
  • Developers to fix high priority bugs in their area and find other bugs that have not being marked as high priority.

Blender 2.90

Final release schedule presented by Nathan Letwory:

  • bcon1 April 15, 2020 (master)
  • bcon2 June 10, 2020 (master)
  • bcon3 July 8, 2020 (blender-v2.90-release)
  • bcon4 August 5, 2020 (blender-v2.90-release)
  • bcon5 August 12 20, 2020 (blender-v2.90-release)


As a follow up for last week intention of making communication more open there are a few new things:

  • A new subforum in devtalk to register any meeting developers have. These notes should be treated as public documents - readable by someone not in the meeting. All developers are encouraged to use it.
  • New changes in blender.chat to facilitate 1:1 discussions to happen publicly (see next).
  • Daily Activity Reports posted on #blender-coders with the work from the BI/BF developers (contributors that want to be included, just poke Dalai Felinto before 17h CEST).
  • There are still no decisions on the communication channels for the modules. Each module is still free to decide whether to use devtalk or blender.chat or bf-committers.


  • Threads and discussions were re-introduced last week.
  • There are mixed impressions on how much they help or get on the way.

New Features and Changes


  • Sculpt Mode (Pablo Dobarro)
    • Share Automasking options between all brushes.
    • Automasking option to use Face Set boundaries.
    • Face Sets support for Multires.
    • Option to delay updating mesh until viewport navigation ends, for smoother navigation.
  • Voxel Remesh (Pablo Dobarro)
    • Add operator to interactively edit voxel size.
    • Add Voxel mode to the Remesh modifier, matching the Remesh operator.


  • Sequencer: show f-curves for opacity and volume values on strips. (Alessio Monti di Sopra)
  • Fluids: more accurate subframe support (Jacques Lucke)
  • Cycles: optimize Noise textures with AVX for modern CPUs. (Omar Ahmad)
  • Mesh Edit: M key now opens the Merge menu, Alt+M opens the Split menu. (Campbell Barton)
  • Armature Edit: add Select Linked support with Ctrl+L (Campbell Barton)
  • Curve Edit: improve extrude to extrude segments rather than individual points. (Germano Cavalcante)

Weekly Reports