Notes for meeting of Monday, 31 August 2020. 18:00 CEST / UTC 16:00 on #blender-coders on blender.chat.
- Sergey Sharybin reminds platform maintainers to re-compile FFmpeg with SSE support.
- Code quality day this Friday on September 6.
- All Google Summer of Code students finished their evaluations, now it is up to the mentors.
Tuesday Talks tomorrow, the times are on bf-committers.
- Module owners and members to add the topics for their modules with members.
- Blender 2.90 release today, August 31, 2020.
- Library update patches need to be reviewed (D8662, D8628, D8594) (Ray Molenkamp)
- New booleans is now in master (Howard Trickey) .
New Features and Changes
The Boolean modifier has a new Exact solver option that handles overlapping geometry better. The old BMesh solver remains as the Fast option, as it is still quite a bit faster. The Exact solver uses exact multi-precision arithmetic and a new algorithm. (9e09b5c418)
With the exact solver:
- Overlapping geometry - coplanar faces, overlapping edges - is handled properly.
- There should be no issues (other than speed) when intersecting very dense meshes.
- Confusion about what is inside and what is outside , which determines what parts survive and what parts are deleted in a Boolean, should be eliminated. At least, in the case where the input meshes describe closed volumes.
- Outliner (Nathan Craddock)
- Themes: add alternating row theme color for file browser (commit) (Red Mser)
- Do not display negative zero floats (commit) (Harley Acheson)
- Sculpt: add Cloth Snake Hook brush (commit) (Pablo Dobarro)
- UV: match 3D mesh editing behavior for edge-loop select (commit) (Campbell Barton)