Notes for meeting of Monday, 27 July 2020. 11:00 CEST / UTC 9:00 on #blender-coders on blender.chat.
- Job Openings at Blender:
- Official Blender Community Logo:
bcon3 started last Wednesday, July 29th.
Status update of the pending projects:
- Multires modifier layout [committed]
- VR scene inspection add-on updates [committed]
- Modifier option to preserve and interpolate custom normals [committed]
- Use consistent layout for custom operator UI [committed]
- EEVEE: GLSL refactor/cleanup [postponed]
- Add Object Tool [undefined, so far still part of 2.90]
Brecht Van Lommel suggested making the Experimental panel not available for beta/release builds. If anyone has any feedback on this, keep an eye for when the patch shows up.
- Blender has 916 “Needs Developer Attention” issues at the moment.
- For next week, since it is the second bug sprint of 2.90, Dalai Felinto will prepare a per module breakdown of this number to help the focus during the sprint.
- It helps everyone if the modules can do a pass first, at least helping classifying bugs/known issues and setting priorities.
Release Communication Week
- Next week, in parallel with the bug sprint, the communication team + blender animation studio, will help prepare the final release logs, sample files, video, …
- Developers are still to do the first pass for the wiki release logs:
- Jeroen Bakker will do performance graphs for the animation playback performance gains.
- Sebastián Barschkis planned a short demo for the OpenVDB integration.
- If Add Object will still make into 2.90 it also needs mention/image/video in the log.
Google Summer of Code
- The second evaluation is this week - from July 27 20h CEST, to Friday, July 31 same time.
- Mentors are encouraged to talk to their students if they need any clarifications before this evaluation. But please don’t wait until the last minute to send the evaluation.
New Features and Changes
- User Interface
- Drivers: add lerp and clamp functions to namespace (commit) (Alexander Gavrilov)
- Modifiers: option to preserve custom normals for subdivision surfaces and multiresolution (commit) (Cody Winchester)
- VR: change how landmarks affect viewer pose (commit) (Julian Eisel)
- UV: remove selection threshold for nearby coordinates (commit) (Campbell Barton)
- Modeling: disable add object tool for 2.90 release (commit) (Campbell Barton)
- Fluid: Added new option to control the maximum number fluid particles in the simulation (commit) (Sebastian Barschkis)
- Python API: pass dependency graph to drivers (commit) (Sybren A. Stüvel)
- Modeling: add object tool option to place on the surface normal (commit) (Campbell Barton)
- Sculpt: add extra deform types to slide (commit) (Pablo Dobarro)
- Sculpt: Support pen pressure modulation in paint brush properties (commit) (Pablo Dobarro)
- UV: significantly improve performance of smart project (commit) (Andreas Terrius, Campbell Barton)