Blender 2.8 Beta
We are aiming for a Beta release this week. Still waiting for:
- New splash screen
- Release notes on blender.org
- Renaming of some features
- Possible changes to default preferences
Note that we will not make a specific build for this, we will continue to use daily builds on builder.blender.org so that everyone tests with the latest fixes and changes.
New Features and Changes
- OpenSubdiv is now enabled for subdivision surfaces and multires (notes)
- The Khronos GLTF 2.0 addon is now bundled with Blender(notes).
- COLLADA import/export got many, many improvements(notes)
- Grease pencil layers gained blend modes (video).
- New Curvature shading option for visualizing high-frequency detail (proposal).
- Local View in the 3D viewport is back again.
- Initial EEVEE reference manual is here.
- User Preferences now have tabs on the left side (image).
- New user preferences to control max tablet pressure and pressure softness.
- Add Image submenu to quickly add a reference image, background image or
mesh with image texture.
- Combined pose + weight paint can now be entered immediately when both
objects are selected.
- New color ramp command to evenly distribute colors.
- New Jump to Target command for object/bone properties.
- Many UI and keymap improvements.
- Performance improvement for armatures that deform multiple separate
- Much improved Grease Pencil drawing performance.
- Faster OBJ import by 33%.
- Proposal for new wiki content structure and landing page.
- The old wiki is being migrated to static HTML.