2024-10-03 Core Meeting

Everyone is welcome on the Google Meet linked below every other Thursday, alternating between 10:00 CEST and 16:00 CEST.

Present:

(Had pre-meeting with Jacques Lucke on Thursday, which notes have been integrated here).

The meeting covers the Core module topics (DNA/RNA, ID management, Depsgraph, Blendfile I/O, etc.) .

Links

Module Roadmap Presentation & Tasks Assignment

Please refer to the devtalk post for a complete and up-to-date overview.

Maintenance and Technical Debt

Automated Testing

Devs coordinate with devops team.

RNA Path Project

• Bastien is currently focussing on finishing the technical prerequisite of making PointerRNA a non-trivial C++ data.

Finish “C++ GuardedAlloc” Sanitizing

• Jacques will work on removing the option to globally override new/delete operators.

Others

• Improvements to Copy-Paste of data:
    • Jacques will coordinate work in Node module to improve handling of nodes.
    • Nathan has some initial work to improve keyframes handling, Sybren will check with him.

5.0 Breaking Changes

• Bastien will check with all modules in the coming days, targets introducing forward compatibility breakages for Blender 5.0 should all be defined and agreed on by the end of the year.

Blendfile

• Jacques and Bastien will work on finalizing design and implementing:
    • Support shared data accross IDs.
    • Improve binary stability of blendfiles across saving when no actual data is changed.

Others

• Jacques will check with the node module regarding compatibility breakage tasks, currently only some Nodes API one is listed.
  • Sybren will check with the Animation & Rigging module, there is also one existing task regarding API listed.

(New) Projects

Linking & Import

Other

• Transfer the Image I/O part of the Core module to the Pipeline & I/O? Seems fine, Bastien will also check with the Pipeline & I/O module at the next meeting.

Next Meeting

The next meeting will be on Thursday 17th October, 16:00 CEST/Amsterdam time (your local time: 2024-10-17T14:00:00Z).

The provisional meeting agenda will be linked in the #Core module channel before the meeting.

5 Likes

Hello, what are the plans for old particle system in Blender 5.0? Not the geometry nodes.

Could you rewrite it with new API, new capabilities through UI and expand it? So this would be improved old PS with new UI with improved inteconnected system like physics, simulations for artists.