2024-08-15 Pipeline, Assets & I/O meeting

Everyone is welcome on the Google Meet linked below every other Thursday, at 17:00 CEST.

Present: Bastien Montagne, Jesse Yurkovich, Micheal Kowalski, Sergey Sharybin

The meeting covers the pipeline & I/O module in a broader sense, including some topics hosted in other modules (e.g. some I/O python add-ons, or overrides and .blend file I/O from the Core module).

Links

USD

Targets for Blender 4.3

Jesse has been working on adding regression tests to USD I/O code, and adding support for PointCloud export.

Micheal does not have much time to spend on Blender USD currently, he is working on SceneGraph export design tasks. He thinks that Point Instancing export should be tackled separately.

Notes:

• Sergey: The MaterialX library needs an update to fix an XML issue. It was fixed upstream, but bringing the fix to Blender is complicated (current USD releases can only use MaterialX 1.38, the XML fix won’t be available before version 1.39 at best, and cherry-picking from upstream also looks complicated).
  • Micheal: Ading support for animation to PointInstancing import could be a nice task to add to the list (for 4.3 or later)?
  • Jesse: Reminder to check on two design tasks:

Next Meeting

The next meeting will be on Thursday 29th August, 17:00 CEST/Amsterdam time (your local time: 2024-08-29T15:00:00Z).

The provisional meeting agenda will be linked in the #pipeline-assets-io-module channel before the meeting.

4 Likes