2024-07-23 Out of the Box: Online Assets

Out of the Box: Online Assets Libraries - day 2

Attendees:

• Dalai Felinto
  • Francesco Siddi
  • Pablo Vazquez

Second meeting to discuss the design aspects of supporting remote asset libraries and the overall “out of the box” content creation experience. This is a potential project for Q4-2024.

The focus today was to go over the mockups (and make new ones), as well as exploring further the idea of integrating extensions repositories and asset libraries.

Asset Libraries

Proposal: Asset Libraries are now part of Extensions repositories.

• Remote Asset Library
    • Any Asset Library listed by a repository is “automatically” listed (disabled) in the Asset Library tab.

• Local Asset Library
    • Local Asset Libraries must be part of a Local Asset Repository.
    • Local Asset Libraries can be added (and removed) from the Asset Libraries “tab”. User has to pick a Local Repository to add them.
    • Proposal: Inside the local repository we have an “asset_libraries” folder, and each sub-folder is considered a different Asset Library.
    • Proposal: when you click on + you get:
      • Import asset library from folder/.zip.
        • Copy over into an existent Local Repository.
        • Use folder as repository.
      • Empty.

Tags

Tags is a special asset meta-data, which is intended for organization purposes. They can come pre-assigned by asset creator, but users should also be in full control of them.

• All assets can have their tags created/removed by users.
  • The tags overrides is stored as part of the config files (userpref, statup, …), similar to bookmarks.txt.
  • That means that read-only local assets (e.g. Essentials), as well as remote assets can have their tags changed, besides local assets which are not in the current file.

Adding tags

Problems:

• You need to type the exact name of the tag.
  • No way to see existing available tags.

Proposal: Show a UI similar to Mesh Attributes, that allows you to add a new attribute while listing existing attributes. (see Store Named Attribute node)

Offer this as a context menu option as well, to batch-apply tags to multiple assets.

Filter and smart catalogs

Problem: Searching in the Asset Browser tries to match asset name or tag name, but it is not possible to combine multiple tags, or to search by name on a tag-filtered list.

Proposal: Allow advanced search by using specific syntax. Combining filters, asset names, even asset types.

• name="Rex*" AND tag="Character,Low Poly"
    This will filter assets starting with the name Rex and that have both tags ‘Character’ and ‘Low Poly’.

A search result can be saved as a “Smart Catalog”, which can then be accessed on the asset shelf, asset popup, asset browser, …