2024-03-25 Grease Pencil Module Meeting

Date/Time: 2024-03-25T15:00:00Z
Link: https://meet.google.com/xxo-tyin-rem
Attendees :

  • Amélie Fondevilla (LFS, developer)
  • Antonio Vazquez (Developer)
  • Casey Bianco-Davis (Developer)
  • Falk David (Blender developer)
  • Lukas Tönne (Blender)
  • Samuel Bernou (ADV Studio, Python developer)
  • Sietse Brouwer (Developer)
  • Yiming Wu (Grease Pencil Line Art)


  • Development updates
  • Blender 4.2 status
  • Questions

Meeting Notes

  • Development updates
    • Last two modifiers not merged yet: fill texture modifier and simplify modifier
      • Lukas is looking at the texture modifier
      • Falk will look into the remaining geometry functions for the simplify modifier
    • Grease Pencil 3 is now rendered using the current (GPv2) engine. This fixed a bunch of issues. It also means that we’re now able to use all the rendering functionality of GPv2 in GPv3.
    • Falk worked on onion skinning. It’s in review.
    • Lukas is making good progress on sculpt mode. Already has multiple tools implemented.
    • There are many patches in review (20!) so focus will also be on getting more review done and patched merged.
Show all commits
  • There was a meeting with some of the admins about Grease Pencil 3 and Blender 4.2.
    • Having both GPv2 and GPv3 in the same release was discussed, but decided against. When GPv3 is ready, it will replace GPv2 completly.
    • Before bcon2 (in about 5 weeks), there will be a final call on whether we will push the switch (from GPv2 to GPv3) back to 4.3 or not. At the moment it looks a bit optimistic. GPv3 will not be released unless it’s fully ready.
  • Next milestones
    • Get the draw mode and animation features (e.g. main dopesheet support) in a good shape.
  • Casey: Was wondering if it would be good to add an option to the draw tool for resampling or if we should wait for these new features.
    • Falk: Yes, we should wait until GPv3 is released to add new tool options.
  • Yiming: is not sure what to work on next. Anything to do?
    • Falk: The interpolation tool or fill tool would be a good next candidate.
  • Samuel: Wanted to know if there were any more (behind the scenes) plans for the VSE to allow for better storyboarding/layout workflows.
    • Falk: There are no plans at the moment. Maybe some more discussions will happen in Q3.

Next Meeting

  • Time/Date: 2024-04-08T14:00:00Z