2024-03-19 Render & Cycles Meeting

Attendees

• Brecht Van Lommel (Blender)
  • Thomas Dinges (Blender)
  • Weizhen Huang (Blender)
  • Lukas Stockner (Blender)

Notes

• Lukas was on vacation last week, and outside of that worked mainly on bugfixing, but will get back to the pull requests under development.
  • Weizhen work on light sampling bugs and optinizations for volume rendering. Bounding the volune segnent by the light shape will help reduce noise, but took quite a bit of work to get working for every light type. Some work was done towards ReSTIR, starting with implementing RIS for BSDF and light samples.
  • Brecht mainly worked on high priority bugs. At some point for Blender 4.2 the plan is to implement rendering of more curve types as needed by USD and the new curves datablock.
  • Thomas mentioned doing bug sprints or more organized work looking into older bugs. Plan was already to have everyone look at bugs at least 1 day per week, regardless if there are any high priority ones.

Scheduling

The next meeting will be skipped as Brecht will be on holidays.

Practical Info

This is a weekly video chat meeting for planning and discussion of Blender rendering development. Any contributor (developer, UI/UX designer, writer, …) working on rendering in Blender is welcome to join and add proposed items to the agenda.

For users and other interested parties, we ask to read the meeting notes instead so that the meeting can remain focused.

11 Likes

Will the temporal aspect of ReSTIR be included as part of this project? If so will it be available in viewport and/or final renders?

3 Likes

It’s too early to make those decisions.

3 Likes

May I also ask about the temporal denoiser that is in the experimental features? It isn’t finished yet, right? Is there work being done to finish it?

I didn’t know that it was on the to-do list. Would love to get some info on that :slight_smile:

There is some code for using the OptiX temporal denoiser. But I don’t think the quality is good enough to be worth investing the time to integrate this better. So this is not being worked on.

1 Like

I understand. Thank you.