2024-02-01 Pipeline, Assets & I/O Meeting

Everyone is welcome on the Google Meet linked below every other Thursday, at 17:00 CET.

Present: Brecht Van Lommel, Jesse Yurkovich, Michael Johnson, Michael Kowalski

The meeting covers the pipeline & I/O module in a broader sense, including some topics hosted in other modules (e.g. some I/O python add-ons, or overrides and .blend file I/O from the Core module).

Links

USD

• USD Point Instances support just landed for Blender 4.1.
  • USD Import hooks is still being worked on, may make it into 4.1 but otherwise just goes to 4.2
  • Jesse mentioned that animation for camera and light properties is commonly requested. Michael mentioned that USD skeleton already imports animation curves, potentially cameras and lights could be handled similarly. For geometry, geometry sets should take of this mostly.
  • Jesse gathered enough information and test files regarding USD curve export, should be possible to get this working. Brecht still needs to find time to work on curve rendering.

Other

• Drag & drop import support need some attention as there are various open pull requests. Main thing is to look over existing pull requests from Guillermo to check which ones are important fixes or changes for 4.1. Multiple file type import may be for 4.2, since it’s a complicated patch.
  • Collection Export: feedback being gathered on devtalk. Discussed various design and technical questions.

Next Meeting

The next meeting will be on Thursday 15th February, 17:00 CET/Amsterdam time (your local time: 2024-02-15T16:00:00Z).

The provisional meeting agenda will be linked in the #pipeline-assets-io-module channel before the meeting.

5 Likes

Do we have Point Cloud support already? :slight_smile: