This is a weekly video chat meeting for planning and discussion of Blender EEVEE/viewport module development. Any contributor (developer, UI/UX designer, writer, …) working on EEVEE/viewport in Blender is welcome to join.
For users and other interested parties, we ask to read the meeting notes instead so that the meeting can remain focused.
- Google Meet
- Next Meeting: February 5, 2023, 11:30 AM to 12:00 PM Amsterdam Time (Your local time: 2024-02-05T10:30:00Z → 2024-02-05T11:00:00Z)
- EEVEE-Next has been post-poned to Blender 4.2 LTS. More information can be found at [EEVEE-Next release postponed to Blender 4.2 LTS]
- EEVEE-Next crash has been solved on platform requiring workarounds that are injected as a geometry shader. The generated geometry shader was overwritten by the specialization constants which lead to linking errors. The platform that we used didn’t provide any error messages, what took more time to find out what was wrong in the shaders.
- Reference images for the render tests have been generated. These images are used to validate same results across platforms. It also showed some bugs, which are being fixed. Some changes have been made to the render tests to suite our workflow
- Render tests have been disabled for features that are not supported by EEVEE. Lightlinking, shadow catcher, light groups and others. When these features we can enable them again.
- Generated report contained incorrect commands when generating the test report for EEVEE-Next.
- Several issues on Metal have been fixed around motion blur bug, transparent shadows, render layers.
- Reflection probes render incorrectly when the viewport is very small. This issue has been investigated, by the root cause hasn’t been found yet.
- Performance improvements. Previous workaround of the read-back buffer wasn’t reliable. A new implementation using permanent mapping buffers was created.
- Scheduling draw commands for EEVEE-Next/Workbench-Next has a performance difference compared to EEVEE-Legacy. The cause was a to broad memory barrier. A patch is in review addressing this issue.
- Fixed dithering issue in blended materials. The issue was that blended materials were also populating the deferred pre-pass generating the dithering.
- PCF shadow feature is still in development. Noticed an issue where 8k shadow maps resulted in the same quality as 2k textures. This will be tackled first, to make sure that the PCF shadows don’t need to be reworked in the near future.