2023-07-18 VFX & Video

VFX & Video meeting notes 2023-07-18

Attendees

• Omar Emara
  • Sergey Sharybin

Agenda

• Habib worked on a regression tests for the realtime compositor:
    PR109878

• Brecht is working on unification of use of GPUTexture for image drawing sand texturing.

• Sergey is working on the render engine API to provide passes as GPUTexture in viewport and
    during final render.

• FFT implementation for realtime compositor. Perhaps vkFFT is a fit ?
    Needs decision of how to best tackle integration with Blender’s GPU module,
    without too much duplicated work compared to upstream.

Practical Info

This is a weekly video chat meeting for planning and discussion of VFX & Video in Blender. Any contributor (developer, UI/UX designer, writer, …) working on rendering in Blender is welcome to join and add proposed items to the agenda.

For users and other interested parties, we ask to read the meeting notes instead so that the meeting can remain focused.

12 Likes

I’m just wondering - how soon will we be able to get passes for the viewport compositor?

It is the main code project I am currently working on. I don’t think we can attach any specific date, there is still some un-entanglment of accumulated technical debt in the API to happen. I really really hope to see first pixels of multiple passes seen very soon!

We are trying to tag all related PR and commits with the task, so you can follow the development in this task: #108618 - Viewport Compositor: Render passes support - blender - Blender Projects

14 Likes

I’m not a developer, UI/UX Designer, or Writer but I have a LOT to contribute to this topic, I’m fine following along and reading the meeting notes as requested, but is there an opportunity to interface with the team working on this topic to help highlight areas where Blender could use the most improvement to better serve the editorial and VFX parts of our industry? I’m eager to help!

1 Like

Hey,
thank you for your interest in contributing to Blender. There are various ways to help, as developer, designer, translator or documentation writer for example. If you like to help out here let me know and I can help you with onboarding.

Suggestions are best posted to rightclickselect though. In general there are far more ideas than developers to implement these. :slight_smile:

Best regards,
Thomas

1 Like