The meeting will be on 2023-07-18T10:00:00Z. It is open for everybody interested to join on Google Meet (link below).
People present are referred to by first name for brevity. Others are referred to by full name.
- Google Meet. Note that there are no recordings of the meeting. This way everybody is free to say or show anything.
- A&R Module Meetings agenda for inclusion in your own calendar
- Previous and next meeting notes
- Issues & Pull Requests
- #animation-module chat channel
- Blog post about the June workshop is online: Animation Workshop: June 2023 — Developer Blog
- High prio: #110161: Regression: Crash on dragging a Speaker NLA strip
- #109015: Animation: Move Snapping to Scene
- Moving transforms and matrices to double precision
#108309: Animation: Merge Push/Relax Rest Pose operators
- Ready to land.
#105574: WIP: Evaluate Red Auto Keying Button
- To decide: go/no-go for the new design.
- Brad Clark already voiced a ‘go’ in the chat.
- Nathan: as a red-green colorblind person, this design is good. The surrounding blue helps.
- OK from Nathan & Sybren.
- Eduardo: what happens to the overlay in the 3D Viewport? There are other applications that have the entire border of the viewport change color, to indicate the ‘auto-keying enabled’ state. Could be an overlay.
- Sybren: what that PR is suggesting is also unclear to me in that respect. At a glance it just shows a change in the autokey button itself.
- Clément: Why would you want to be able to change the button color?
- Sybren: it’s very personal, ‘red circle’ can mean ‘recording button’ for some, and ‘error’ for others.
- Nathan: we could go for a ‘mode’ that makes it possible for animators used to auto-keying to somehow get ‘blocked’ in their work when they accidentally have auto-keying disabled.
- Nathan: another way to warn about changed-but-unkeyed things in the 3D Viewport is to take the UI behaviour of properties (changing from yellow/green to orange) and use that to change the color outline of bones/objects.
- Decision: OK for the button, and other ideas can go into other PRs.
#108941: Animation: Replacing bone layers + groups with bone collections
Sybren’s proposal for handling colors:
- Drop the idea of making bone collections ‘colored’.
- Store bone colors directly on the edit bones, i.e. the armature data, instead of on the bone groups (which live on the Object).
- Make sure this supports ‘Copy to Selected’. That way you can select all bones in a collection & give them all a color.
- Store an optional bone color on the pose bone, i.e. the object. By default this is ‘not set’ so that the edit bone color shows.
- Versioning: initialse bone color from bone groups, then convert bone groups to colorless bone collections.
- Module agrees with Sybren’s proposal. Will be discussed next regular meeting as well get more feedback.
- Eduardo: How about making things easy to adjust, like swapping sets of colors of bones?
- Nathan: that could be done by add-ons.
- Sybren: maybe a “Select Bones of Same Color” operator could help.
- Sybren’s proposal for handling colors:
- Preparing for meetings, keeping track of what landed and what’s currently ongoing work.
- Sybren will move upcoming meeting agendas to the HackMD workspace.
- Nathan will help to keep track of things.
The next meeting will be on Thursday 2023-07-27T16:00:00Z. Again it will be open for everybody who’s interested. The provisionary meeting agenda will be linked in the #animation-module channel before the meeting.