The meeting will be on 2023-07-06T16:00:00Z. It is open for everybody interested to join on Google Meet (link below).
People present are referred to by first name for brevity. Others are referred to by full name.
- Google Meet. Note that there are no recordings of the meeting. This way everybody is free to say or show anything.
- A&R Module Meetings agenda for inclusion in your own calendar
- Previous meeting notes
- Issues & Pull Requests
- #animation-module chat channel
Last week: Animation 2025 workshop at Blender HQ.
- Broad strokes:
- New data-block called
Animation, which will replace the
Actionas the main way to store animation data.
- Animation Layers
- Move functionality (and data) from the NLA editor into the
- Support different animation channel types (for example for Grease Pencil)
- New data-block called
- Sybren is writing a blog post about the workshop itself.
- Nathan is writing a meta blog post, about what we learned of the workshop process itself, and ideas on how to improve future ones.
- Recoding of the presentation at Blender HQ. Note that this presentation is a snapshot of the design at that point in time, nothing more.
- Brad: shares the Action Blocks add-on
#107902: Fix #104054: Symmetrize visible ebones when nothing selected
- Decision made in PR: for consistency with the rest of Blender, avoid the “nothing selected means everything selected” route. Instead, just disable the operator and include info in the tooltip as to why.
- #109768: Animation: Allow setting the slider unit and mode
Christoph made a prototype for the new animation data model.
- Sybren put it into a Git repository and changed the code around a bit.
- Falk David made a prototype for a ghosting system
#106952: Animation: Butterworth Smoothing filter
- Christoph kicked buildbot for Brad to test.
- Includes Sybren’s suggestion for non-linear blending at the edges of the smoothed segments.
Marion Stalke is working on a new ‘Solo’ icon for NLA tracks:
- Nate: 2nd one might not read well when it’s small.
- Nathan: prefers nr. 3. Number 1 looks too much like the 3D Cursor.
- Nate: this is nice for “solo track” icon, and not necessarily for a generic “solo” icon.
- Sybren: specific icon for “solo track” is good.
- Paolo: how about the icon in different states? Mostly about active/inactive. Also would be good to see the icon between more other icons.
- Christoph: likes #3 as well. It looks a bit “heavier” than the existing icons, though.
- Brad & Jeremy: maybe something with dashes lines?
- Sybren: image shows icon left & right, let’s keep it right. Module agrees.
- Decision: explore designs for #3, but then visually slightly “lighter”
#109781: Keyframes on values of linked data
- Sybren: Maybe for 3.6.1? Needs some investigation, let’s decide once we know what the solution looks like.
- #109473: Animation: Vertically locking the NLA so it doesn’t scroll to infinity
#109212: WIP: Animation: At the boundary frame between non-muted NLA strips, evaluate the first frame of the later strip instead of the last frame of the earlier
- Paolo added new tests for the NLA system.
Jeremy used Blender as presentation tool. An animation system that animates multiple objects with one
Animation data-block that allows multi-object editing and re-ordering of animation strips would be super useful for that.
Nathan: A feature was asked by an animation studio, for the graph editor: to have the length of keyframe handles set automatically, and the slope still user-defined. Module agrees it could be a nice feature.
Sybren: nice feature to have, but given the amount of work that is already on our plate, not something the Blender developers can work on now. Could be a nice thing for a community developer to implement.
The next meeting will be on Thursday 2023-07-13T16:00:00Z. Again it will be open for everybody who’s interested. The provisionary meeting agenda will be linked in the #animation-module channel before the meeting.