2023-07-03 Eevee/Viewport Module Meeting

Practical Info

This is a weekly video chat meeting for planning and discussion of Blender Eevee/viewport module development. Any contributor (developer, UI/UX designer, writer, …) working on Eevee/viewport in Blender is welcome to join.

For users and other interested parties, we ask to read the meeting notes instead so that the meeting can remain focused.

• Google Meet
  • Next Meeting: July 10, 2023, 11:30 AM to 12:00 PM Amsterdam Time (Your local time: 2023-07-10T09:30:00Z2023-07-10T10:00:00Z)

Attendees:

• Clement
  • Jeroen
  • Miguel

Eevee-next

Workbench-next

• Last patches landed. We will retest on different platform and bump opengl version to 4.3 before we make it default.
10 Likes

Question, can this discrepancy with cycles be solved in eve next?

Basically turning on ao pass in eve by itself is pointless and will produce empty image, you also must turn on ao in render settings and thus add it to combined pass.

In cycles you can have ao pass for compositing without also baking it into combined pass.

Quick question. I was wondering what the progress was for vulkan implementation.

Latest update on that subject can be found over here.

Take this with a grain of salt as AO in Eevee-next is still under construction, but the new architecture is designed to give this flexibility with the requirements of render passes and viewport compositing. So I expect this to be solvable.

Current Eevee was designed with just a few render passes in mind and the concept of viewport compositing didn’t exist back then. Eventually I tried to add most renderpasses but could not do it efficiently and as you mention with some limitations.

5 Likes

Hello, I was wondering if following is a bug report material, or I’m doing something wrong.
From the beginning of eevee-next development I keep getting pitch-black objects, except some emissive materials. I have 3070ti laptop and keep updating drivers (gaming one).
Should I wait for furthure development or report a bug?
thanks

Hi,

Eevee-next workflow is still limited and will be worked on :slight_smile: Check the next things:

• Are the Scene Lights active in the viewport?
  • Does the Scene have an IrradianceVolume?
  • Have you baked the Light Caches?

Diffuse material requires light in the scene or an baked irradiance volume. Emissive and reflective light should work without them.

These are known issues for people who want to test at this moment. We want to automate these steps in the near future.